Chapter 18

(Y/n)'s POV

Joe and Cherry were at the front door, where my mum had answered despite my telling her not to. Her eyes remained skeptical as Joe aimed to sweet talk her into letting Yuu and I leave, as Reki's beef against Adam was on tonight.

"You two were friends of my brother, weren't you?" she asked.
"Yes, we were," replied Cherry.
"I hope you're not getting my daughter into any trouble. These skateboarding things aren't dangerous, are they? I don't want a repeat of what happened..."
"Miss, we won't let anything happen to (Y/n). I swear my life on it," said Joe.
"Hey mum, I'm just gonna dash. Yuu and I will be back before you know it."
"(Y/n), I- *sigh* Alright, have fun, sweetheart."
"Love you, mum."
"Love you too."

I hurriedly ushered Joe and Cherry out, pushing them towards Cherry's car. Yuu and I finally released the breaths we were holding once we were inside. Joe turned from his spot in the passenger seat.

"I told you to wait. You didn't have to go to the front door."
"Come on, you can't keep running off like that. Someone needs to let your mum know what's going on, or at least reassure her that you're in safe hands," he replied.
"Safe hands?" Yuu asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Kid, you don't know who you're talking to."
"I might believe you if you stop calling me 'kid'."
"Alright, brat."
"Tch, fine then, ogre."

Cherry let out a loud chuckle, muttering something about Yuu's innate ability to argue with adults. A smile touched my lips before I returned to watching the passing scenery.

Buildings of various sizes decorated the streets. The moon's soft rays illuminated the earth, the stars' twinkling adding to the luminescent glow. The absence of the typical crowds usually permeating the streets added to the calmness of the scene.

Despite this tranquility, my heart was constricted. Adam's skating mimicked that of a cruel god, reminiscent of an arrogant king abusing his subjects. All my heart could do was pound in slow, aching beats.

However, I trusted Reki. He wouldn't hurt himself to the point of permanent damage. I had faith in that. A slow breath escaped me before we were out and moving towards the start line, where everyone was waiting.

"Reki! Langa!"
"(Y/n), you're here," exclaimed Reki.
"Practised enough?"
"You bet. I'm gonna kick his ass tonight."
"That's the spirit...but be careful."
"I know, I will."

We watched as Adam arrived, appearing like the main character of a movie, as if the world revolved around him. Unexpectedly, Langa's hand found mine in the midst of the drama.

He was handed a bouquet of roses from Adam, nonchalantly accepting the seemingly random gift. Yuu snickered at the interaction, amused by the legendary skater's odd actions.

"Sweet Rose, you've come to watch," Adam commented.
"Of course I did."
"You shouldn't have. I wouldn't want you to see your friend get hurt."
"Then all the more reason for me to be here."
"Ah, the honeyed sweetness your words convey."
"Roses also have thorns, Adam."
"And I don't doubt it."

Adam and Reki lined up at the start line, eyes looking upon the lights. All was silent as it counted down, anticipation and tension thick in the air. Yuu's hand was in mine, squeezing as if sensing a terrible event.

The lights flashed green. Reki was skating away only a second later...yet Adam had pulled out a cigarette, casually smoking as if this was a joke. My hands tightened but Yuu didn't cry out for he too was squeezing mine back.

"I can't smoke at work," Adam began.
"I don't give a damn about your work."
"You have a fierce heart, Rose. Best to direct your anger at the correct people."
"Give her a break, Adam. You just want to challenge her to a beef," said Joe.
"What makes you say that?"
"Because you beat her uncle, and you want to beat the girl he trained."
"*smirks* Are my thoughts really that obvious?"

Without a moment's delay, he was speeding down the track. We rushed to the large screens to view the race. Adam was slowly catching up to Reki. My mouth grew into a thin line.

The darkness spread its spindly fingers around my body, trapping me within its inescapable grasp. It oozed its poison into my mind, coating it in a layer of infectious diseases. I wanted to pray to the heavens that nothing'd happen...but I knew better than to wish for fleeting fantasies.

Adam had drawn uncomfortably close to the red-haired male, grabbing onto him in the process. My lips trembled. He suddenly slammed Reki's head against the rocky wall. I almost whimpered, yet my hands were clenched into tight fists.

"Oi oi, isn't this too one-sided?" asked Shadow.
"Damn it, why did he have to challenge Adam? I was fine..." Miya exclaimed.
"I-I have to..."
"(Y/n), wait!" Langa called.

I didn't. I couldn't. I was already off on my skateboard, racing down the track as if there was no tomorrow. The world became a blur, its luscious scenery a mere illusion. The light had dimmed.

Hearing everyone's conversations as I swept past, I could tell the situation was getting worse. Reki was taking a beating I wouldn't even want Ruka's inconsiderate lackeys to go through.

My feet were screaming. My heart was being torn apart. I had hopped off and was running with my skateboard in my hand. Adam was performing that move...his 'Love Hug'.

Reki's body flipped over as Adam skated uphill, before he crashed into the rock wall. A small whimper finally escaped me as I skidded to my knees in front of my unconscious friend, ever so gently lifting his head onto my lap.

"Langa, I can't wait for our match," commented Adam as he knelt by my side.
"I won't lose," said Langa.
"I have high expectations for you."
"Langa, we need to get him to a hospital."
"Oi guys!" Shadow called from his car.

Langa lifted an unconscious Reki onto his back before we were rushing away.