Sad Ending

(Y/n)'s POV

A smile spread across my face as the kitten nuzzled against my hand and purred. Its sibling flopped down on my foot before I melted at the sight of these two babies that had been abandoned on the side of the road.

There was a dirty bowl of water and a few lone bits of kibble in another bowl inside the cardboard box they had jumped out of. I picked up the white balls of fluff and placed them back in the box.

It wasn't long before I reached dad's cafe with the box in my arms, the two kittens meowing softly. Reki and Langa stared at the package I had placed on the table.

"Did you buy them or something?" Reki asked.
"No, they were abandoned."
"What has my daughter brought this time? More mischief?" dad asked as he came over.
"Dad, can we keep them? Just look at their adorable faces."
"Even if you say no, I have a feeling she'll still keep them anyway," commented Reki.
"*sigh* You'll have you ask your mum about that. I have no problem with these kittens."

As if knowing we were talking about them, the two kittens meowed. I picked both of them up, placing soft kisses on the top of their heads. I grinned happily as they rubbed their soft faces against me.

"Dude, I think she just fell in love. She's cheating on you," Reki stated.
"...eh?" was Langa's confused reply.

I called Yuu to ask if he was free to pick up the kittens. He agreed to come after a bit. Reki pushed a drink towards me before I took a sip, watching Langa pick up a kitten like he wasn't sure what he was doing with his life.

"Poor things, left all alone on the side of the road."
"Who wanted to challenge us?" Langa asked as he cradled the kitten like a baby.
"Joe said it was an old acquaintance of his."
"Ne (Y/n), your birthday's tomorrow, right?" Reki said nonchalantly.
"Yeah, why?"
"No reason."
"Now you sound suspicious. Why? Do you have a surprise planned?"
"Hmm...I'm not sure. Guess you'll have to wait to find out."

I pouted. It wasn't long before Yuu arrived, immediately taking a liking to the adorable fluffs. Reki, Langa and I left them in his care before taking our leave. There was a sudden scream as a mother begged someone to save her child.

A young boy was crying in the middle of the road, where he had gone to pick up his dropped toy. A large truck was heading towards him, it was already too late to stop. Langa and Reki rushed towards the boy after shoving their stuff into my arms.

They reached out their hands and pushed the boy away. A torturous scream left my lips as the truck crashed into the two boys who had become an irreplaceable part of my life.

~At the hospital~

The doctor came out of the operating room before we waited for his rundown. Langa's mum clutched my hand while Reki's parents looked at each other worriedly. It didn't seem like it was only going to be good news.

"I guess you could say they're both in as stable as a condition as they can get," the doctor began.
"That's a relief," Reki's mum exclaimed.
"But they're both in a coma. We're not sure if they'll wake up again. If a while passes and there's no sign of...recovery, it's best you prepare for the worst."

Tears slid down my cheeks as my legs collapsed. I hugged my knees, willing all this to be a terrible nightmare. They had to wake up, I didn't want to be alone. I couldn't be alone again. Their parents' sobs filled the empty hallway, melting away the hope that remained in my heart.

~A while later~

I stared at the two skateboards against my wall. The two skateboards that had followed my best friends everywhere. Both their parents had come over to give them to me, wanting me to hold onto something of theirs now that they were no longer here with us.

My two cats, now named Snowdrop and Santa, curled up on my feet as I scrolled through my phone. A video I had never seen before caught my eye, filmed before their accident. I clicked on it.

"Yo (Y/n), you're probably wondering when we stole your phone to film this. Well, let's just say I'm a skilled ninja," Reki greeted, his face right up against the camera.
"You just took it when she was sleeping," Langa said as the camera then showed the both of them.
"Damn it, Langa. Don't ruin it. Anyway, happy birthday (Y/n)! What should we do then? Shall we go to that new theme park that opened recently?"
"Should I buy the tickets now?" asked Langa.
"See, look! Your boyfriend is already onto it. So? When are the two of you going on your next date?"
"I'm okay to go anytime."
"*smirks* Look at you, all in love. Man, I wish I had a girlfriend."
"(Y/n), let's go out for dinner on your birthday."
"Hey, Yuu says she's waking up. Time to wrap up this amazing video. Langa, anything else you wanna tell her?"
"...I love you."

Langa flashed a gentle smile before the video cut off. Tears stained my cheeks. There was no 'tomorrow'. No theme park hangout, no dinner date. I would never see their smiles nor hear their laughter again.

I replayed the video again and again. My endless tears became quiet sobs, making my two cats meow and rub against my legs. I rocked back and forth, trying to keep myself from breaking.

On a shelf sat a brand new skateboard...the present Reki and Langa hadn't had the chance to give me. Someone knocked on the door and came in without waiting for an answer.

"(Y/n), do you wanna have some dinner?" Yuu asked tentatively.

I didn't answer. More tears forced their way out of my eyes. There was no way I would be able to free myself from this nightmare. If there was a god in this world, please help me wake up.