Dinner, Breakups & Rent - Chapter 1

Romance Under The Desert Moon Banner And Trailer Up There

Romance Under The Desert Moon Banner And Trailer Up There. ⬆⬆(Recently updated title to Torn Between Reality)

Please Vote (:

I was just getting ready to head home after a long day of work. Well, I didn't actually own a 'house.' In fact, I lived in a single-person apartment. There wasn't that much space, but I always made sure to keep the place clean, and it always smelt fresh. I used those air-fresheners to keep the small space smelling perfect. That's just the type of person I was; tidy and neat, everything clean.

I'd been stressed for a week or two because my girlfriend had been acting all strange. Very weird. She was distant in all of our conversations and everything, so I needed to see her. Had everything planned.

When I arrived home, I took a hot shower, soaking myself under the water before finishing up. And once I had finished getting ready, I began to get dinner ready.

She had called me earlier that day and told me she would be there around 6 o'clock. Conveniently, I was off at 5:00 PM that day. I got dinner on at 5:27, and it was finished at 6:17, and only a few minutes after, she showed up. It was the perfect timing.

She showed at my door dressed in black tights, topped with a white turtle-neck and a pair of knee-high boots. She came with a fluffy white jacket and a deep red scarf wrapped around her neck. On her face she wore a look of dismay, and her hair was a bit messy. She looked tired, and her eyes were a little darker than normally.

 I dished dinner, setting wine glasses on the table and pouring  some champagne into the glasses. "Let's eat, babe," I said, ready for a nice time with my beautiful girlfriend. However knowing that wouldn't happen.  She'd spoken once to say hi.

She wasn't herself when we sat down to eat, so that in itself said enough. I had pulled her chair out for her and everything, but she just didn't seem happy. As I had went to pull her chair out, she walked to a chair across from where I would normally be sat at, making me stop dead in my tracks, but awkwardly, I walked over to her and pulled that chair out. She sat down and I pushed it up a tad. She didn't smile. In fact, she stared down at her hands that she held in her lap.

First thing I noticed that had been a change—she didn't sit beside me, which would be where she always chose to sit. The second thing I noticed was that she didn't seem to be very chatty that day. Or any day the entire week. She kept quiet, and no matter how hard I tried to create conversation, she just wouldn't have it.

"So, how was your day today?" I asked, my voice at an appropriate tone for the moment.

"Fine." She was very quick to end the conversation, not even asking me how I was. Her fork played in her food that she hadn't touched.

The silence that fell over the room was killing me, the awkwardness was stabbing away at me, and I just had to find out why she was so distant with me. One thing I was tired of was being so afraid to mess up, walking on eggshells just to be ignored.