those three words

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

-

Three words. Three tiny, short little words that meant everything. The three most important and anticipated words in a relationship. And they slipped out by accident.

You were afraid it was too soon, even though you'd felt that way towards him for months even before he asked you out. And it took everything in you not to tell him every time you saw him.

Every time you were with Steve, every time you'd looked in his eyes or laid next to him in bed or kissed him. Every small thing he did reminded you of how much you loved him, and now your feelings were out there, and you felt vulnerable as your cheeks went red.

Steve sat there speechless, blushing along with you. He was just about to open the passenger door to your car and go into his house, and when you said it, he froze with his hand on the door handle, just looking at you.

His surprise and love for you masked his shock, a smile forming on his lips. He turned his body and looked right at you the moment you'd said it. He wasn't sure what to say at first, what words to use. He knew he loved you back, maybe even more. He'd known for a while. Finally, he spoke.

"What?"

You hesitantly repeated yourself, wondering if he loved you back.

"I love you?"

"Again," he said once more, a cheesy smile engulfing his face, his eyes lighting up like the streetlights outside. You caught on, returning the uncontrollable smile that radiated from his face.

"I love you." Steve gripped your face and pulled you in for a passionate, sloppy kiss. His hands held your head in place tightly and you giggled into his mouth, your fingers wrapping around your wrists.

His lips littered small kisses all over your face, which made your giggle turn into a hearty laugh, some snorts making their way in there every once in a while.

"I love you, too," he managed to say between kisses. When he finally pulled away, he looked into your eyes with nothing but love. He then pressed his lips against yours one last time, keeping you in one of the most loving kisses the two of you had ever shared. After he'd released you, he placed a few more smaller kisses on your lips. "God, I love you, too."

Your cheeks hurt with how hard you were smiling, and you playfully bit your lip and laughed again.