coming out

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

"Have you... ever been in love?" Robin asked Steve. You sat next to her, pushing your hair out of your face.

The three of you just escaped the Russian base, throwing up the truth serum they injected into you. Out of the three of you, you and Steve were covered in bruises and cuts on your face while Robin remained unharmed.

You were Steve's little sister. You were two years younger than him, making you seventeen. He was angry at the fact that they had beaten you.

"Yup. Nancy Wheeler. First semester, senior year." You heard him make an explosion noise. You rolled your eyes, remembering everything that happened during their relationship.

"Oh my God," Robin said. "She's such a priss."

"Agreed," you said.

"Eh. Turns out not really."

"Are you still in love with Nancy?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I guess it's because I found someone who's a little bit better for me." You and Robin looked at each other in confusion. He chuckled. "It's crazy. Ever since Dustin got home he's been saying, you know, 'You gotta find your Suzie', 'You gotta find your Suzie'."

"Wait, who's Suzie?"

"It's some girl from camp, I guess his girlfriend," you interjected.

"To be honest with you, I'm not a hundred percent sure she's even real," Steve chuckled. "But that's not- That's not really the point. It doesn't matter. The point is, this girl, you know, the one that I like, it's somebody that I... didn't even talk to in school. And I don't even know why. Maybe 'cause Tommy H. would've made fun of me or... I wouldn't be... prom king? It's stupid. I mean, Dustin's right. It's all just a bunch of bullshit anyways."

Robin took a deep breath and a small smile crept across her lips.

"Because," he continued, "when I think about it, I should've been hanging out with this girl the whole time. First of all, she's hilarious. She's so funny. I feel like this summer, I have laughed harder than I have laughed in a really long time."

Your eyebrows raised and you looked at Robin.

"And she's smart. Way smarter than me. You know, she can crack, like, top-secret Russian codes, and... You know? She's honestly unlike anyone I've ever met before."

Robin put her head between her knees, sighing. She didn't reply, and it felt like there was silence for a long time.

"Robin?" said a voice on the other side of the wall. He knocked and you could almost see the expression on his face. "Robin, did you just OD in there?"

"No." She sighed. "I am still alive." She let out another sigh.

You saw Steve's feet move into your stall and he slid under, sitting on the opposite wall from you.

"The floor's disgusting," you said.

"Yeah, well I already got a bunch of blood and puke on my shirt, so..." Robin chuckled. "What do you think?" he asked after a moment.

"About?"

"This girl."

"She sounds awesome."

"She is awesome. And what about the guy?"

"I think he's on drugs, and he's not thinking straight."

"Really? 'Cause I think he's thinking a lot more clearly than usual."