a date?

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

Steve scratched the back of his neck and chewed the last bite of his banana, pacing around the backroom of Scoops Ahoy. Robin sat at the table, her arms crossed and eyes following him. She had her eyebrows raised and her left leg was bouncing.

She sighed, eventually getting annoyed.

"Why are you so nervous?"

"Did you not listen to anything I just told you?"

"What's the big deal? Just ask her out. She seems nice."

"I see her all the time when I come in and leave and I don't want it to be awkward."

"Steve. Seriously? You used to be the 'ladies man' of Hawkins, and now you can't even talk to them? Even I can do that."

He sighed. "I really like her."

"You barely know her."

"I know... some. That's not the point. The point is that... she's always super nice to me. Like, you have no idea. She has this beautiful smile that's just so genuine and her eyes are welcoming and kind, and her voice is so soft and... I don't know."

"I've never heard you talk so eloquently," Robin said sarcastically.

"I'm serious, Robin. If I have a chance, even just a small one, I don't want to fuck it up."

"Well, from the way you describe her, I don't think you could fuck up. It sounds like she would still be nice to you even if you did."

"I know, I know. I just don't want to take the chance."

Meanwhile, you were walking into the very store that he worked in. You looked around, noticing it was empty. Not just the restaurant, but also behind the counter.

You looked into the small display case next to the counter that had the ice cream, looking at the different flavors.

Robin looked over through the small gap in the windows behind the counter.

"Well, I don't think you really have a choice right now," she said to Steve, which you couldn't hear.

He walked over and looked through the windows, sighing to himself.

"Shit," he said simply.

"Go. Talk to her. You'll be fine," she said with a smirk.

He gave her a sarcastic smile before walking out, feeling his palms sweating. He gave you a genuine smile as you looked up and saw him.

"Hey," he said.

"Oh, hey. I didn't know you were working today."

"I hope you weren't out here too long."

"Just a few seconds. I was looking at the flavors, anyway."

He walked over to the register. He watched your eyes scan across the different flavors before you looked up at him.

"I'll take a USS Butterscotch, please," you said.

"One scoop or two?"

"Just one."

"One USS Butterscotch coming right up." He grabbed a cone, as well as his scooper. He opened the glass container and reached in, attempting to scoop it out.

It fell off his scooper a couple of times, but you didn't mind. When he finished, he walked over to the register, hit a few buttons, and looked back up at you.

"That'll be a dollar and thirty cents."

You began digging into your wallet. You pulled out two dollar bills and he handed you your cone in return. He fumbled with the cash, originally putting it into the five-dollar slot, then correcting himself.

He pulled out two quarters and two dimes, handing them to you. You guys weren't super coordinated, though, so he dropped the dimes onto the counter, scrambling to pick them up and hand them to you.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"It's fine," you said with a smile. You decided just to drop your change into the tip jar, which he smiled at. You took a lick of your ice cream and looked at him. "This is really good," you said.

"Yeah, it's pretty popular."

"Well, I'll see you later," you said with a small wave. You turned to walk off when he stopped you.

"Hey, Y/N," he said, louder than he meant to.

You turned back around and looked at him, continuing to eat your ice cream.

"Yeah?"

He was visibly nervous, making you a bit worried.

"So, I know we don't really know each other very well, and that we only really talk when we run into each other before or after our shifts, or on break, or something. But I really like talking to you."

"Aw. I like talking to you, too."

"But, uh... I was wondering if, maybe, you know..." He didn't finish his sentence.

You raised your eyebrows. "If what?"

"Well, you know, maybe... I don't know, I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. What is it?"

"I was wondering if you, maybe, wanted to hang out sometime? Maybe get dinner or something?"

"Dinner? Oh, like a date?" you said, a small smile forming on your lips.

"Yeah. Yeah, exactly. A date."

"When were you thinking?"

"Uh... Any day, really. I'm off from tomorrow to Sunday."

"I'm off from tomorrow to Saturday."

"Oh, great. That-That works out great, then."

"Yeah, it does. Do you have a pen?" you asked, grabbing a napkin from the dispenser to your left.

"Uh, yeah." He patted down his pockets, pulling out a pen. "Here."

You took it, writing your number and address on the napkin. You folded it and handed it to him.

"I get off at eight. Call me tonight and we can talk more."

"Yeah, okay. Tonight. I'll talk to you then," he said. His face, neck, and ears were red and he had a smile on his face.

You turned and walked off, your smile hurting your cheeks.

One of the windows behind him slid open and Robin stood there, a whiteboard in hand. It was separated into two columns: one saying "You Rule", the other saying "You Suck".

The "You Suck" section had six tally marks, the "You Rule" section had zero tally marks.

She opened a dry erase marker and made a mark on the "You Rule" section, and Steve turned around to look at her.

"Finally," was all she said.

"Shut up," he mumbled, a smirk on his face.