out of my league

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

-

You sat at the bar and pulled out your fake id. The bartender nodded and got you the cocktail you requested, an order you had to shout over the music blasting. As you took the first drink, you felt a presence behind you.

"Beer, please," said the deep voice connected to the person. As he waited on his order, he looked at you. "Well, hello, pretty lady." You rolled your eyes and continued drinking. "How's it going?"

"Fine," you said halfheartedly.

"Just fine?" You nodded. "You here with anyone?"

"Yeah, actually." You weren't actually there with anyone, but you figured maybe he'd back off if you lied.

He looked around. "I don't see anyone."

"Yeah, I'm meeting him here. I guess he's not here yet."

"Well, you wanna get out of here until you find them? My apartment is only a block from here."

"No, I don't. Can you just leave me alone, please?"

He laughed. "Come on, sweetheart."

You grabbed your purse and downed the rest of your alcohol, getting up from the chair. You quickly walked onto the dancefloor, hoping to disguise yourself. You started dancing to yourself, smiling at a few other people.

Usually, you'd be self-conscious about dancing in front of people, but you'd had a few drinks before you showed up, so you had more confidence than you normally did.

But when you felt someone rub up against your ass, you turned around quickly. The same man who bothered you at the bar earlier stood there with a happy smile on his face.

"Jesus, can you not take no for an answer?" you asked. "I said I was meeting someone."

You looked around the club before your eyes settled on a guy your age who was sitting alone with a beer bottle. You took a deep breath before quickly walking over.

You could feel the guy following you, and when you got to his table, you smiled at him.

"Hey, babe. You're a bit late," you said to him. You looked in the direction of the man and raised your eyebrows. He had a knowing expression on his face before his hand lightly landed on your back.

"Oh, yeah. I was about to come find you." You let out a breath of relief. He looked at the creep behind you. "Hey, what's going on?"

He shook his head. "Nothing."

"You following my girlfriend?"

"Not at all."

"All right, then you should probably back off."

He nodded. "All right. See you around." He stumbled off, and the stranger pulled his hand off of you.

You looked at each other and smiled. "Thank you so much."

"Yeah. Was he bothering you?"

"You have no idea."

"Wanna sit? I'll split my beer with you."

"Actually, I think I'm gonna go home. Almost getting assaulted was enough fun for the night."

"Hey, you want me to walk you home?" You raised your eyebrows. "I promise I'm not gonna follow you inside or anything like that. I'd just like to know you got there without a perv following you."

The smile on your face grew. "Actually, that'd be really nice."

When you were outside, he gave you his jacket. It was nice against the cool October air.

"I'm Steve, by the way."

"Y/N."

"You came here alone?"

You nodded. "I was supposed to be with my friend, but she bailed on me last minute."

"Does that stuff happen a lot?"

"Well, being an eighteen-year-old girl alone at a club makes me kind of an easy target."

"Eighteen? How'd you get in?"

"Fake id. You don't look twenty-one, yourself."

"I have a fake id, too. I'm nineteen."

"I guess we're both liars, then," you laughed. "Thank you again for doing that in there."

"What else would I have done?"

"Ignored me. Some guys won't go along with that."

"I mean, I'd rather pretend to be your boyfriend than let you get hurt."

"You're a gentleman, then."

He shrugged. "It's not such a bad thing for someone to think I could get you anyway."

"You could 'get me'?"

He looked at you. "That... came out wrong. That wasn't what I meant at all. I meant... you're out of my league."

You dipped one brow down. "What?"

"Come on. You're, like, ten times better looking than me."

"If your way of picking up girls is to call them hot right off the bat-"

"No, no, no. I'm not trying to 'pick you up'. Not at all." There were a few seconds of silence. "I mean, not unless you want me to." You bumped him with your shoulder. "I'm totally joking."

"I don't mind it. You're sweet."

He chuckled. "I try to be. I used to think girls wanted you to be a douchebag to them. But I guess I just woke up one day and realized that's not at all what they want."

"No, not at all." You could tell he felt bad. "Would past Steve had done that?"

"Not without expecting a reward."

"Do you expect a reward?"

"Not at all."

"You've changed, then."

"I'm trying."

When you got to your apartment, you stopped in place. You started pulling the jacket off when he stopped you.

"Keep it."

You tilted your head. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I don't wear it a lot, anyway." He nervously ran his hand through his hair. "Plus, it looks nice on you."

You smiled at him. "Do you have a pen?"

He patted his pockets before pulling out a Sharpie. "Here."

You opened it and grabbed his wrist, pushing his sleeve up. You wrote down your phone number, and he stared at your face as you concentrated.

"Call me sometime. Maybe we could have an actual date instead of that."

He raised his eyebrows. "Seriously, I don't expect anything-"

"I'm not giving you that because you used to expect it. I'm giving it to you because you're sweet and I'd like to see you again."

He smiled. "Okay."

"See ya later, Steve."

He watched you walk up the stairs to the second floor and enter your apartment before he walked home.

When you were inside, you leaned back against the door. You closed your eyes and smiled to yourself before going to your fridge and getting out a bottle of water, thinking about how lucky you were that he was there.