we all struggle

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

-

Today had been hard. You felt like absolute shit, and you didn't know why. It was summer, you'd been spending every day with your boyfriend Steve, and you knew that you should feel better.

But you didn't.

You were depressed, which was something both of you were used to. But this time was different. You'd been losing weight rapidly, you hadn't been sleeping, which in turn caused you to be exhausted 24/7, and you couldn't concentrate on anything. You hadn't left the house in almost a month, which worried your friends and family. You had been spending your time baking anything you could think of just to keep your mind off of your mood, but it usually didn't work.

You'd been dealing with depression for a few years, and usually, it just made you apathetic toward everything. Because of this, you were worried that Steve wasn't happy with you, but he insisted he wouldn't want to be with anybody else.

So for you to go from depressed to this was a major change. Sure, you'd gotten used to the normal symptoms of depression, but this wasn't normal. It was amplified. It was almost like your depression was slapping you in the face trying to get your attention.

Steve knocked on your door at about three o'clock. He gave you a warm smile and pulled you into a long hug.

"Hey," you said.

"Hey. You got any plans?"

"I never have plans," you lightly chuckled.

"Good. Go change."

You raised your eyebrows. "What?"

"We're going to the park. I packed a picnic."

You sighed. "I don't know, I'd prefer to lay in bed."

"I know. But I read that if someone is going through a tough time, it's good to get them outside. You gotta get that Vitamin D."

You lightly smiled at his effort, appreciating that he wanted to help you.

"Can't we just eat here?"

"Nope. You're going outside for the first time in almost a month. You need it."

"Steve-"

"No. No 'but's. Go get dressed." He was stern yet soft-spoken, not making you feel like you were being ordered around, while simultaneously telling you what to do.

"Alright," you said, defeated. "I'll be right back."

As soon as you stepped out of your front door, you basked in the warm sunlight.

"Feel good?" he asked.

"Yeah, actually."

-

Sitting on top of a blanket in the grass with Steve next to you was peaceful. The sun shining on you made you want to fall asleep, and feeling his arm around you made you feel safe.

You both munched on ham and cheese sandwiches, which he packed because he knew it was your favorite.

"When was the last time you ate before now?" he asked.

"Two days ago."

"Before that?"

"Three days."

He sighed to himself. "Listen," he said softly. "I know that you're having a hard time. I don't know why, and I'm not gonna make you tell me. But I do want you to know that I'm here for you. I'll always listen to what you have to say. I'll be your free therapist," he joked, making you smirk. "Whatever it is that you need me to do, I'll do it."

You nodded. "Thank you."

"Are you comfortable telling me why you're so down lately?"

You didn't answer for a moment. "I don't know. I really, genuinely don't. I wish I did. Maybe I could do something about it if I knew."

"And you don't have to. You don't have to know. It's okay."

You looked at him. "I think it might be genetic. My grandma had bad depression."

"Maybe."

"I don't know if there's something wrong with me-"

"Stop. Don't say that. There is nothing wrong with you. You're just struggling. And we all struggle. Just some a bit more than others."

You looked at him. "I really hope you don't think I'm a bad girlfriend."

He leaned over and kissed you. "You're the best girlfriend I could ask for. I love you."

"I love you, too."

-

As much as you hated to admit it, Steve's picnic didn't make you feel a whole lot better. However, you were glad that you had someone like Steve to be there for you when you needed it.

You picked up a habit of calling him in the middle of the night and just talking, trying to distract yourself. Sometimes it worked, as he would rope you into a conversation you could talk about for hours, and even for a small amount of time, you forgot about the world around you.

But when you ended the calls with him, everything came rushing back and overwhelmed you. Sometimes you'd invite him over or go to his house, just to keep yourself distracted as long as possible.

You figured it was just something you had to deal with and face head-on, and it was nice to have Steve by your side through it.

-