i'll be there for you

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You walked through the halls of Hawkins High School. Your hair got stuck in the salty tears staining your cheeks as you practically ran to your car. The cold November air sent chills through your body when you got outside, causing you to clutch onto your jacket.

You frantically unlocked the door to your car and got in, throwing your backpack in the passenger seat. As soon as you started the engine and felt the heat kick on, you let it out.

You sobbed loudly and gripped the steering wheel, leaning forward and resting your forehead on your hands for a moment before you dropped them to your lap and wiped your eyes.

You stared down at your hands, replaying the scene in your head.

You and your boyfriend in the cafeteria during lunch. Both of you eating school food and studying. He looked up at you and sighed. You returned the look.

"What's wrong?" you asked.

He put his pencil down and sighed again. "We should talk."

You gave him a look of confusion. "Okay. About what?"

"I think..."

"What?"

"We should break up."

You raised your eyebrows and felt a pain in your heart.

"What? Why?"

"I'm not feeling it anymore."

You squinted. "You're not feeling it anymore?" He shook his head. "Was it something I did?" you asked as you felt tears welling in your eyes.

"No. No, it wasn't you. It isn't you."

"Then what is it?"

"I don't know. I'm just not happy anymore."

You nodded slowly. You closed your textbook and shoved everything in your bag. "You can find your own ride home from now on," you said as you walked out of the cafeteria, and out of the building.

Which takes you back to your car. You'd stopped shivering and were now just sobbing quietly to yourself as the radio played softly.

You sniffled before a knock on your window got your attention. You looked over to see Steve, your best friend. You quickly wiped your cheeks before unlocking the door to let him in.

You looked the other way so he didn't see you crying.

"Hey, I saw you storming out of the building. Are you okay?" he said as he sat next to you.

You nodded, still not looking at him. "Yeah, I'm fine." Your voice sounded nasally, giving away the fact that you'd been crying.

"Have you been crying?"

"No."

"Y/N, look at me." You closed your eyes and stayed still before he repeated himself. You turned to look at him and he gave a sympathetic expression. "Are you okay?" You nodded again. "Stop lying. What happened?"

"We broke up," you choked out, feeling more tears slide down your cheeks. "He broke up with me at lunch."

Steve sighed. "I'm really sorry, Y/N."

"Yeah. I don't know what happened. We were holding hands and he kissed me, like, twenty minutes ago."

"You want me to kick his ass?"

You let out a half-hearted chuckle. "No. Thank you, though."

"Breakups suck. They're hard."

"Yeah, no shit."

He reached over and gripped your hand before sliding to the middle seat, letting you lay your head on his shoulder. You cried more as he rubbed your upper arm.

"You'll always have me."

You nodded. "I know."

"Do you wanna go home?"

You nodded again. "I can miss my last couple of classes."

"You want me to drive you?"

You shook your head. "No, but you can come over if you want."

"Okay."

The next thing you knew, you were sat on the side of your bed, Steve wrapping a blanket around your shoulders and pulling you in close.

You embraced the hug, closing your eyes and taking a deep breath. "I guess I'm single again," you said quietly.

"That's not such a bad thing."

"It's been so long I think I've forgotten how to be on my own."

"I get it," he said. "But it gets easier the more time passes."

You didn't answer. It was silent for a few minutes before you sat up and looked at him. "I'm so thankful for you, Steve. Seriously. I don't think I could get through this without you."

He gave a small smile. "I'm thankful for you, too. And whatever you need, I'll be there for you."

You didn't get out of bed for the rest of the day. Steve went back to school for a couple of hours but came back when the day was over. He stayed the night and brought movies and snacks to keep your mind off the breakup.

You fell asleep cuddled up next to him, crying a bit when you started talking again. But he was there for it. He was there for everything. He was the reason you got through the breakup.