after work (NSFW)

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You pulled down the storefront gate to Scoops Ahoy and locked it before standing and catching up with Steve who was a few feet away.

"Well, today was busy," you said, trying to make conversation.

"Yeah, tell me about it."

You groaned. "I have so much homework to do," you said as you looked at your watch that read midnight. "I have class at ten in the morning."

After a few seconds, Steve spoke. "How's college life going?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I didn't get the grades or GPA to get in. I wish I had. I'd love to be away at college right now."

"Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be."

"What do you mean?" He went out the front door to the mall first and held it open for you before locking it.

"Well, for starters, a lot of nights, there's a party in the dorm next to me or a few rooms down. Most of the time, those are the nights I have to study. Or the fact that the building I live in always smells like weed or booze. Or that I always have an eight a.m. class on Mondays and Fridays."

He nodded slowly. "Hey, at least you're not stuck here."

"Well, if you went off to college, you'd leave your tiny friends behind."

"Who, Dustin? Yeah, that's true."

He looked at you and you both chuckled.

There had always been something between you two. A sort of electricity that sparked every time you were around each other. You definitely had serious chemistry, something both Robin and Dustin reminded both of you regularly.

But you'd never viewed Steve as more than a friend, sometimes just a coworker. Now, that isn't to say you didn't like him. Because you definitely did. You'd had a crush on you since the first time you worked with him.

He was trying to show off and dropped his ice cream scooper on the floor, followed by him failing to flirt with a customer.

It was dorky, and you'd always had a thing for dorks.

And Steve felt the same way. You knew he did. He always requested to work with you and Robin at the same time and had even tried flirting with you a few times. You always shot him down because Robin was there, but you wanted nothing more than to go on a date with him and see how romantic he could be.

You walked up to your car, unlocked it, and threw your bag in the back before looking at him.

"Well, this is me."

"This is you."

"Thanks for walking me out."

"Oh, yeah, it was no problem." He ran his hand through his hair, something you picked up as a nervous habit.

"Well... I should get home. Do some homework."

"Yeah, yeah, of course."

You nodded awkwardly. "Alright, well, I'll see you in a few days."

"Yeah. See ya." You watched him walk a few feet away before turning back to you. "Uh, actually... I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Okay."

"So, we've worked together... What, six months?"

"Seven."

"Seven months. And I'd say we're good friends now."