first sight

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

-

You sat down in the empty classroom in Hawkins High, your last first day of high school. Your first class was marine biology, something you took because your counselor said was an easy A.

You pulled out a notebook and pencil from your bag, opening to the first page and beginning to doodle. You rested your chin in your hand and sighed, already tired.

You were silently chewing gum and bouncing your leg. You let out a small sigh, looking around to see the room empty besides the teacher who was finishing setting everything up.

You suddenly felt a pair of eyes glaring at you, and you looked at the doorway, seeing a boy standing there. His eyes were a bit big, almost as big as his hair. He had his hand on his backpack strap, gripping it tightly.

You gulped and gave him a small smile. You knew his name: Steve Harrington. He used to rule the school, but you'd never interacted with him.

He slowly walked over and looked at you, then at the desk next to you.

"Is this seat taken?" he asked. You shook your head and he sat down.

"Steve," he said.

"Y/N." It was quiet for a few seconds before he looked at your doodles.

"Did you do those?"

You looked down at your paper. "Yeah."

"They're good."

You snickered. "They're okay, I guess."

You made eye contact with him again and you both smiled at each other.

"What's your schedule?" He changed the topic quickly, pulling out a sheet of paper with his schedule on it. You did the same, and you looked at each others' schedules.

"Oh, we have math together next hour."

"And English and life skills tomorrow."

He looked at you. "Well, at least we know we both know someone in a few classes."

You nodded. "Thank God."

"Yeah," he chuckled.

It wasn't long before class started, and when it was over, you walked to your math class together, managing to find two seats next to each other again.

You had no idea how much Steve had changed. You knew that Billy Hargrove had taken over the "King of Hawkins High" status recently, but you didn't realize it was because Steve was humbled by five fourteen-year-olds.

But you liked it, nevertheless. He was sweet and warm, compared to his cold, shut-off self from two years ago.

And you knew you'd enjoy being his friend.