party

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

-

You stood in the bathroom, staring in the mirror and listening to the muffled music of the party you were at with your boyfriend, Steve. He'd been invited and wanted to catch up with his friends, but you didn't know anyone there. As soon as you arrived, you realized how much you didn't fit in.

Every kid there was rich and privileged, most of their dads in country clubs. They were all drinking except you, who was Steve's chaperone. You took a deep breath before stepping out of the bathroom and walking to the kitchen to find his friend Jack.

He was talking to a girl when you tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey," he said with a warm smile. "You enjoying the party?"

"Yeah," you lied. "Uh, where's Steve?"

He glanced around the house, a dissatisfied look on his face. "I have no idea," he chuckled. "Maybe he's in the bathroom." You nodded, looking around. "Sorry."

"No worries. I'll just walk around until I find him. Thanks." He gave you a nod and turned back to the girl he was talking to.

You walked around the large house, knocking and entering every room, but to no avail. That was when you returned downstairs and looked out the back window, seeing him sitting on the stairs of the porch and smoking.

You sighed before opening the sliding glass door and stepping out into the hot, humid August air.

You walked over and stepped down one of the stairs, sitting next to him.

"Hey," he said. You looked over at him, and that was when you noticed a dog was sitting next to him. It was a golden retriever peacefully snoring with its head on his knee. You smiled before reaching over and petting it.

"I was looking for you."

"Sorry. I just needed a minute out here."

You looked at what you thought was a cigar, to see a joint.

"To smoke weed?"

"I can put it out if you want."

You shook your head. "I don't mind."

He raised his arm and wrapped it around you, pulling you close. You rested your head on his shoulder and closed your eyes.

"Are you okay?" you asked.

He didn't answer for a moment. "I dunno, I guess I just realized how much of a douche I was when I hung out with these people."

You looked up at him. "You're not a douche anymore. Isn't that all that matters?"

He smirked and looked down at you. "I guess it is." You looked at the joint and reached for it. "Aren't you driving?"

"I've built up a tolerance. One hit won't bother me."

He handed it to you and you inhaled the smoke, breathing out with a satisfied sigh.

"Do you wanna go home?" you asked. "You don't seem like you want to be here."

He nodded. "Can we go to your place?"

"Of course." You stood up and held your hand out for him to take. He dropped the joint, smushing it with his foot. He grabbed your hand and pulled himself up, following you inside and back out to your car.