piano

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You opened your eyes to the sound of light piano music and a soft voice singing a song you instantly recognized as You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker.

You smiled to yourself. It was one of your favorite songs at the moment, and Steve knew that. You'd never heard him play the piano, though you knew he could.

And he was really good at it.

He was clearly unaware you were awake. He never played the piano in front of you. You'd only heard him play once when his parents forced him to play a song at his family Christmas party when you'd been together about a month.

You'd begged him to play more, but he always said no. He would say he wasn't that good or he was rusty, but you knew he was embarrassed.

You thought he was an excellent singer. In fact, sometimes he would sing you to sleep. His voice was dreamy. It was like honey and velvet and all the good things you could think of.

Even though he disagreed, you swore to your grave he was the best vocalist you knew. He would say things like, "You have to say that, you're my girlfriend."

You would always shoot back with, "Steve, honey, if I thought you were a bad singer, you know I would tell you."

Sometimes he would just deny he could sing when you begged him to, which was like torture to your ears. You went crazy if you didn't hear him singing at least once a day.

When the song ended, you sat up. He looked over at you, and in the light of the sunrise, you could see his cheeks go red.

"That was amazing," you said.

He scratched the back of his neck and nervously chuckled. "Nah, it wasn't that good."

You raised your eyebrows. "Steve. Are you kidding me? It was incredible. Why don't you ever play in front of me?" He didn't answer. "Are you worried I'm gonna judge you?"

He nodded. "Yeah, kinda."

"It was so good. You know I love that song."

"I was learning it for you."

You smiled. "I love you," you said.

He smiled back and got up, crawling back in bed. He kissed you as he pulled you close. "I love you, too."

"If you don't play the piano for me regularly I might go crazy."

He chuckled. "Yes, ma'am," he said sarcastically.