trust me

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You walked with Steve to a rusty car, hiding Dustin and Lucas as they shook hands. Steve banged a chair against the car, scaring the kids.

"Hey! Dickheads! How come the only one helping me out is this random girl?" He pointed to Max. "We lose light in forty minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said."

"All right, asshole! God!" Dustin said.

"Okay! Stupid," Lucas mumbled under his breath.

"Be nice," you whispered to Steve. "They're just kids."

"I know, I know. I'm just frustrated," he said, throwing his arm around you.

"I know. But Max isn't the only one helping. That's the whole reason I'm here, you know."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

A little while had passed and it was dark outside. The windows on the bus were covered, guarding you, Steve, and the kids from danger. Lucas sat on top of the bus with his binoculars, keeping watch.

You sat next to Steve, who was flicking open and closed a Zippo lighter. It was starting to get on your nerves, but Max cut him off with a question.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" He nodded slowly and kept flicking it. "And you're, like, totally, a hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear," Dustin said. You looked at him and furrowed your brows.

You'd known Dustin for a few years. He always came into the arcade you worked at and was always super nice, which is why it shocked you to hear him being rude.

Steve had given him the advice to play 'hard to get' towards Max, who Dustin and Lucas had a crush on. But 'hard to get' and being an asshole were two different things.

You all recoiled a bit at his comment.

"Why are you even here if you don't believe us?" he continued. "Just go home."

"Dustin," you said harshly. "Be nice."

"Geesh," Max mumbled. "Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" she asked as she climbed the ladder to join Lucas on the top of the bus.

"That's good. Just show her you don't care," Steve said. You slapped him on the arm and he looked at you.

"I don't," Dustin said quietly. Steve winked at him. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

"Just so you know, if you had treated me like that, I would've slapped you in the face and not the arm," you said to Steve. You looked back at Dustin. "Don't be a little asshole towards her, regardless of if you like her. It makes you look like an idiot," you said bluntly. Dustin didn't respond. "You're awful at advice," you finished, directing that at Steve.

"Why the hell are you so cranky? Is it past your bedtime?" Steve said, still flicking the Zippo.

You grabbed it out of his hand and stuffed it in your pocket. "I was supposed to go to dinner with my parents tonight, and they probably have a search party out for me at this point. I didn't expect to join a monster-hunting team at four p.m. out of the blue."

"We need all the help we can get," Dustin said.

"Yeah, well, you were a dick to Max, who's trying to do just that, so..."