last kiss

POSTED ON: scoopsahoy

a/n: this is based off 'last kiss' by taylor swift

-

You laid in bed on your back, staring at the ceiling. Moonlight shone through your windows, the fan blew quietly, and you could hear faint sounds from the television downstairs.

You sighed quietly before throwing the blankets off of your body and getting out of bed, kneeling on the floor. You pulled a bin out from under the bed frame.

On the lid was a sticky note titled "Steve's stuff". Inside it was sweaters, socks, records, cups, pictures of the two of you together, and the backpack he left at your house.

You pulled out a sweater. It was a deep blue, hand-knitted sweater from his great-grandmother. He wore it regularly, specifically to sleep in during the winter months. On the left breast, it read, "Steve" in white yarn.

You sighed before you slipped it over your head, feeling how warm and cozy it was. It reminded you of the first time you saw him in it. It was the first party you'd gone to with him, three months after you started dating. It was a Christmas party, held at his friend's house on December 23rd.

He was dancing with his friends, a smile plastered on his face, his hair messy, and flopping around with each movement he made. He had rhythm, while you had two left feet.

He was the life of the party that night, and he was having more fun than you'd ever had.

He looked at you, held his arm out, and motioned for you to come to him. You rolled your eyes, smiling to yourself. You gripped his hand and he pulled you in, where you danced with each other until your feet got sore.

That was when he asked if you wanted to go back to his house. You agreed and he drove the two of you there.

You remembered that night vividly: You and Steve stood at the island in his kitchen, eating gingerbread cookies. The only light in the room was from a candle on the counter.

He looked extra handsome in the candlelight. His brown hair was highlighted beautifully, and the slight blush on his cheeks became apparent.

He watched you eat with a smile on his face. You glanced behind him to see the microwave read 1:58 a.m.

When you looked back at him, he had a dorky smile on his face.

"What?" you asked.

"I love you," he whispered, his voice just loud enough for you to hear. You smiled wide, pulling him in for a kiss that tasted like Christmas.

You clutched the sweater you were wearing. You felt a tear slide down your cheek, which you used the sleeves to wipe off. You looked into the tub to see a polaroid of you in an airport.

You were wearing baggy shorts and one of his t-shirts, pulling a suitcase behind you. A tired smile was on your mouth, and you tried to block your face.

You remembered that day just as vividly as the night he told you he loved you.

You had gone to visit family for three months, comforting your grandmother as she laid on her deathbed. It was a hard few months for you, as you and your grandmother were close. You promised Steve you'd call, but you never did.

So you'd gone three months without talking to him. You landed in the Fort Wayne airport on July 9th, and as soon as you got outside the terminal and saw Steve standing there, you started running.

It was like a cheesy romantic comedy - you running through the airport with your suitcase in hand, jumping into the arms of the love of your life.

He kissed you and you could feel his heart pounding. He kissed you all over your face before landing on your lips.