love?

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You sat in the passenger seat of your boyfriend's car, driving home from your weekly date night at the movies. You saw whatever sounded the best, or the worst. You switched off between who paid, and tonight was his turn. Whoever paid drove the other home. You saw The Goonies that night and both enjoyed it.

You were about a mile from your house and laughing your ass off at Steve's impressions of the characters. He was good at that - making you laugh. It was part of the reason you started going out; you were always laughing while around him.

Tonight was no different.

When you finally pulled up to your house, you looked at him. He had a goofy smile on his face and you smirked.

"Thank you for tonight," you said. "I really enjoyed it."

"Me too."

"You wanna come in?"

He was silent for a few seconds. "What about your parents?"

You looked at the clock. "It's past midnight. They won't even know."

"I don't know."

"Come on."

"I don't wanna screw this up with them." You all had been together for three months and your parents were always thrilled to see him.

"They like you. You wouldn't screw it up."

He slowly threw his head back so it hit the headrest. "I can't."

"Steve, come on! I hate sleeping alone." You put on a pouty face. "Plus your parents are working night shifts. You'd be all alone."

He gave a soft smile. "I can't, babe. I promised them I'd be home tonight."

You sighed. "I got into it with my mom earlier."

"About what?"

"Family shit."

"Mm. I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay."

"You know you can call me anytime, right? If something's bothering you, I wanna know about it."

You nodded. "Are you sure you can't stay?" you asked after a moment of silence.

"You know I would if I could."

"I know." You smiled. "Alright, well, I'm gonna go in." He leaned over and kissed you for a few seconds.

"I'll see you in a few days."

You smiled again. "Okay."

You unbuckled your seatbelt and opened the door, pushing it all the way open and getting out. As soon as you closed it, the window rolled down.

"Hey," he said.

You leaned down and placed your hand on the door, looking at him. "Hey."

He waited a few seconds before saying anything. "I love you."

A smile spread across your face. That was the first time either of you had said that. You were silent for a few seconds before replying, "I love you, too."

He smiled back. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah. See ya."

You stood up and stepped onto the curb, tripping over it and stumbling into the grass. It was like your legs were jelly, love filling your body. You turned to look at him to see he had an amused smile on his face.

You pushed your hair behind your ear and started walking up the driveway. You looked back and waved and he did the same. You fumbled with your key but finally unlocked the door, stepping in once he drove off.

An uncontrollable smile formed on your lips as you closed the door and locked it. As you started walking upstairs, a voice called out your name from the living room. You recognized it as your dad and stepped off the stair and onto the floor, walking to see him.

The smile was still on your face and he noticed. When he saw you, he raised his eyebrows and smirked.

"What are you so smiley about?"

"Nothing. Other than the fact that Steve told me he loves me for the first time."

He smiled. "Good for you. I'm assuming you said it back?"

"Duh."

After a moment, he spoke up again. "Your mom's pretty upset."

"Jesus."

"She said you two had a fight earlier."

"Yeah, we did."

"About?"

"I'm not getting into it. You can talk to her about it for all I care. I'm going to bed."

"Y/N."

"What?"

"You need to talk to her."

"No. Not tonight, at least. I'm going to bed. Goodnight."

He sighed. "Goodnight."

You walked upstairs to your room and opened the door, stopping when you looked at your bed. There sat Steve with a smirk on his face. The window was open and air blew in.

"Hey," you said. "I thought you couldn't stay."

"Eh. Changed my mind. I didn't really wanna go back to an empty house when I could just stay with my girlfriend."

You smiled before changing and laying down next to him.

"I really do love you," he said as you cuddled up next to him.

"I know. I love you, too."

He kissed the top of your head. "When should we do date night again?"

"Doesn't matter to me," you yawned.

You didn't say anything else for the rest of the night. You just embraced each other's warmth.