why are you so mad?

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You and Steve sat in the front seats of his car, riding in silence. You had your right elbow propped up on the window sill, and you were watching the trees as you zoomed past. Steve was driving, his hands wrapped around the steering wheel.

You had just gone to dinner, and it was your turn to pay. To be completely honest, though, it was a last-ditch attempt to save your relationship.

You guys had been together for about two and a half years and hadn't been nearly as happy as you used to be. You were the first to notice.

He had begun seeming uninterested and unwilling to do anything with you. He never stayed at your house anymore, was never interested in going on dates, and just generally apathetic towards you.

He was never like this, even before you started dating. But you just assumed it was something every couple went through, so you blew it off. But when he barely talked during dinner, you knew it was more than that.

"Steve?" you asked after a moment.

"Hm?"

"What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"With us." He sighed. "Did I do something?" He didn't answer. "At least answer me."

He was silent for a few seconds. "I don't know. I guess I'm just not feeling it anymore."

"Feeling what?" you asked, a slightly offended tone in your voice.

"This. Us. I don't know."

"Did I do something?"

"I don't know, Y/N."

"Is that all you have to say?"

"What?"

"You gave such a half-assed answer. You know, I've tried so hard to save this relationship, wondering if it's my fault, and all you have to say is 'I don't know'?"

"Because I don't."

"Bullshit. Give me a straight answer, Steve. All I want is a straight answer. I'm so tired of you not taking the time to try with us, all you've done is give up. I'm still in love with you, and all you can do is give me half-assed answers-"

"Jesus, can you shut up for once in your life?"

You physically recoiled in your seat at that comment. He had never been mean to you, even if he was distant.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Why are you so mad?"

"I'm just tired. Of everything. Of you trying to save this relationship when there's nothing to save."

"Because I'm in love with you, Steve. I want us to work. Clearly, you don't feel the same."

"No, I don't."

"That doesn't mean you should be mean to me. Telling me to shut up? That's low, Steve."

He sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I'm just... I'm tired of trying to save this relationship when there's nothing left."

"Yeah, and how do you think that makes me feel? I've known you fell out of love with me for a while, but I wanted to make this work because I still love you."

He sighed. "I do love you, Y/N. I'm just not in love with you anymore."

"Yeah, that makes me feel fantastic."