what did you do?

POSTED ON: steve-hairingtons

-

You sat across the table from Steve, waiting on your drinks. You were at the nicest restaurant in Hawkins for date night. You had on a tight, red dress that came down to your mid-thighs and he had on a gray suit with a yellow tie.

You had just cleaned your wedding rings, meaning you looked extra nice.

You weren't sure why, but it was awkward between you two. The tension was high and he wasn't his usual talkative self.

It worried you, but you blew it off for a few minutes. You talked about work and he listened, though he didn't crack jokes or even respond when you finished talking.

"Steve, honey, are you okay?" you asked once the waiter brought your drinks and you shooed him away for the moment.

"What? Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"You know you can be honest, right? Tell me what's up."

He sighed and rubbed both eyes, taking a moment to begin talking.

"You know how I got a job at the factory down the road from the house?" You nodded. "I, uh... I didn't actually get a job there."

"Okay..."

"I've been going to a girl's house."

"A girl's house?"

He nodded.

"Steve... What did you do?"

He ran his hand through his hair, something he did when he was nervous. "I'm sorry," he said simply.

You took a deep breath. You grabbed your purse and pulled out a twenty-dollar bill, slammed it down on the table, and stood up.

"Let's go," you said in a monotone voice.

"We should talk-"

"We will. In private. At home."

The ride home was incredibly tense. You were driving, your hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. You let a tear drip down your cheek but ignored it, not wanting him to see you cry.

When you pulled up to your house, you both got out. He followed you inside and you kicked off your shoes, put your purse down, and began cleaning up the dishes that needed to be cleaned.

"Y/N," he said. He repeated your name a few times, keeping his voice low. "Y/N, please, let me-"

"Let you what?" you said loudly, throwing a plate and shattering it. You took a deep breath, but it didn't do anything to calm you down. "What do you want to do?"

"I just want to talk."

"Talk?" you scoffed. "About what? You cheated on me, Steve. For months. You know my ex-boyfriend cheated on me, and how long it took me to start dating again. How could you do that? The Steve that I know would never do that."

"Y/N, come on."

"I have no idea who you are. I don't know the man standing in front of me if I could even call you that. You're not a man. You're a little boy."

"Y/N-"

"Was it more than one person?" you asked loudly.

He sighed. "No."

"Was it every day you said you were going to work?"

"Yes."

You bit your lip to keep from screaming.