Chapter 2-Wildflowers

The next morning, I was jolted awake by the sound of my alarm ringing through my bedroom. I really should change it to something more gentle. I rolled over to and checked my phone to see it was 9:00am. Time to get up and get ready to face the day.

I browsed through my clothing options, and picked a pair of light wash, ripped jeans with an old Rolling Stones t-shirt. I didn't have hiking boots, but I settled on black converses, then picked out a red flannel shirt that I stole from my dad. I didn't have time for much effort in the hair or makeup department, but it seemed pointless for hiking. I parted my hair down the center and French braided both sections individually. Then I put on some mascara and my favorite peppermint chapstick before sliding it into my pocket for the day.

A few moments later, I noticed a white Jeep with the top down pulling up outside. Josh was driving, Danny was up front, and Sammy and Jake were in the back. They were wearing sunglasses, which reminded me to look for mine. I was frantically searching my entire apartment, when someone knocked on my door.

I opened the door to see Josh standing there. He was wearing dark green pants that were cuffed at the bottom, a long sleeved white t-shirt, a few chunky necklaces(including a thin gold chain with a small angular-shaped stone pendant that sparkled different colors), and pair of dingy white vans.

"Hey, Opie! Are you ready to go?" He asked with a smile.

"Hey, Josh! Yes, let's go!" I excitedly said.

We walked out to the Jeep together as Danny climbed into the back seat. Josh held out his hand to help me climb in to the passenger seat. He climbed into the drivers seat and started the car.

"Hey, Opie," Jake said from the backseat. "I like your shirt," he added with a grin. His hair was pulled up into a bun, and he was wearing a loose red T-shirt and a pair of light blue jeans with a hole in the knee. He also had on a pair of brown Chelsea's and a chunky necklace that looked like an arrowhead.

"Thanks, Jake," I said returning his smile. "Hey, Sammy and Danny!"

They shouted their hello over each other and started laughing as they realized no one would understand them. They were matching in their blue button up shirts that were open showing off their toned chests. Danny had a large peace sign necklace and a pair of boots, and Sammy had on a chunky tigers eye necklace and Birkenstock sandals. They were both wearing their hair half up and dark jeans.

"Alright let's go!" Josh said pulling my attention back to him with a quick smile as he pulled out into the street and began driving.

"Where are we going?" I asked with my best mischievous grin and a glance towards Josh hoping he'd spill.

Jake chirped, "It's a surprise! JOSH don't tell her!"

Josh nodded and eyed me with a cheeky grin. I turned to look at Jake with my lower lip pushed out and puppy-dog-eyes. "Please? I don't LOVE surprises.."

Jake blushed and broke the eye contact without a word, so I turned to face Josh as he began to speak.

"You'll love this one!" Josh said excitedly as he reached over and rested his hand on my knee. I felt the warmth rush to my cheeks, but I couldn't look away from his beaming face as it glowed in the warm sunlight. He glanced over to see me smiling and gave my leg a soft squeeze before returning his hand to the shift knob. I glanced up and noticed Jake wince in the rear view mirror.

"Wellllll if we're going to be riding for a while, can I at least play some music?" I asked almost rhetorically because I was already plugging the aux cord into my phone and pulling up Spotify.

They all groaned, but waited somewhat excitedly to see what I was going to play.

The instrumental beginning of my favorite Florence + the Machine song began, and I glanced around expecting more groans. Instead I was met with goofy grins and head bobs. They let me sing the beginning alone but joined in screaming for the chorus.