Chapter 36-Confused

Jake's POV
"It's so much harder to get out of bed when you look so good," Opie groaned as she got up to shower and get ready for work. I flashed her a smile a wink. She tossed her pillow at my face while laughing. "Jake, quit looking at me like that! I have to get ready.." she whined.

"Call out and stay here with me," I teased knowing there was no way that was happening. I stuck out my lower lip in a pout while I watched her get dressed for work. "I'll make it worth your while..." I added, causing her to look up at me from tying her shoes. She bit her lip and I had to fight the urge to yank her back into bed with me. She might as well have heard my thoughts because she started giggling and shaking her head.

"I'm off at 5, and I'll come straight home to shower so we can go to the party tonight," she explained. "I love you, I'll see you tonight," she whispered as she leaned in and kissed me before leaving.

I got up a few minutes later, brushed my hair and teeth, then sent a message to the group chat called "musketeers".

-you guys ready to go pick find clothes for tonight?

Dr JMK- give me 20 minutes and I can be

SWagner-Sammy and I picked ours up yesterday..we can meet you for a late lunch after, though?

-sounds like it's just us, Joshy.. I'll come get you in 15.

I was really hoping Sam and Dan would be there as a buffer, but I knew Josh would need to pick up a suit, too. We always put everything off until the last possible second. I hurriedly got dressed in an old Rolling Stones shirt, light wash jeans, and a pair of boots. I threw on my usual necklaces and rings before grabbing my keys to leave.

I pulled up to the house, and was hit with memories of anger and hurt. I swallowed hard and took a deep breath before heading in to pick up Josh. The house was a lot cleaner than I expected, to be honest. There were no empty beer bottles or liquor bottles to be seen. There was an incense burning on the coffee table and a John Denver vinyl playing Let It Be. Josh and Sammy had always debated on if John's cover was better than The Beatles version. I tried to stay out of it, but the thought made me giggle.

"Hey, Jakey," Josh said hesitantly as he walked out of his room. He blew out the candle and turned off the record player as I responded.

"You ready to go?" I asked as he met me in the living room by the front door. It was odd not parking in the garage, but strangely this didn't feel like home anymore. Josh nodded and grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge before heading out. "You out of whiskey?" I joked.

"I mean, yeah..but I've been trying to cut back after everything. Clearly alcohol was not improving my situation or decision making skills," he replied with a laugh. I raised my eyebrows in surprise, but I was impressed. We should probably all cut back, but Josh was not the one I expected to make the jump.

We climbed in my car, and rode around downtown Nashville looking for a small store that Danny told us about. "I think you've gotta take this left," Josh said as we passed the turn he was talking about. I groaned and made the next two left turns then a right to correct it.

We parked on the street and sat in the car for a moment. "Josh, are you okay? I mean after yesterday specifically.." I asked hesitantly.

He turned to look at me and let out a long sigh. "Honestly? No, I'm not okay. I love her, and I know she loves me. She is confused right now, and I understand that it's my own fault..." he replied slowly. I felt rage bubbling inside me, but knew Opie would be disappointed if either of us showed up with a black eye.

"Josh.." I began, struggling to find words that weren't swimming in anger. "We're in love..she is it for me. I'm sorry if that sucks for you, but I need you to find a way past this because you're my twin and my best friend.." I finished sternly.