Chapter 32-Almost Always

Ophelia's POV
A little over a week had passed since Jake and I had gone on our first official date. It was honestly one of the best dates I had ever been on. Jake is so thoughtful and attentive, and he makes me so happy. Hanging out with him is so effortless and easy. I don't know how someone hasn't already scooped him up. I don't know how I dismissed him so quickly, either.

We had been somewhat busy with work since the date, but we still managed to find time to text throughout the day and almost always had dinner together at night. It was takeout usually, but neither of us cared.

We have been planning to go on our second official date tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited. Jake refused to tell me where we're going, but I was ready just to have a new adventure with him.

I was off work today, so I spent the afternoon doing self care things. I used a new face mask, took a long, hot shower, shaved my legs, deep conditioned my hair, and spent time doing my hair and makeup. Before I could finish my hair, I heard the delivery driver pull up. I went outside to check, and saw a long thin box by my door. I carried it inside, and noticed it was from Josh. I felt my heart begin to race. As much fun as I had been having with Jake, I felt like some part of me would always love Josh. Everything had been so messed up, but that didn't take away from the connection I felt to him.

I sat down on the couch and opened the box in my lap. The first thing I pulled out was my Fleetwood Mac shirt, and I was surprised to see how clean it was. Anger flashed through me as I remembered the fight with Lauren, but dissipated as I picked up the next item. It was small teal bookmark covered in tiny cartoon cows. I smiled as I recalled Josh asking me a million questions as he walked me home that first night. The bookmark was sitting on top of a copy of The Princess Bride book, and my heart fluttered. Josh can be sweet when he wants to be, and I loved that he remembered my favorite movie. I picked up a small black and white stuffed dog that looked alarmingly similar to a dog I had as a kid. How had josh remembered that? There was a small giraffe figurine nestled in a bed of tissue paper, and I smiled thinking of my wonderful date with Jake. The next thing I opened was a journal with a note tucked into the pages. There was a lovely drawing on the back of me and some beautiful flowers. I turned it over and read the note.

My dearest Ophelia,

I don't expect you to forgive me, or even to read this whole letter, to be honest. I just need you to know how sorry I am about everything I've put you through. There's no excuse for my decisions or behavior. I was stupid, childish, and selfish. You deserve so much better than that, than me really. I will probably never get another chance with you, and I'll understand if that's the case...but if I do, I promise I will spend every day trying to earn your forgiveness. I love you so much, Ophelia. I made a mistake, and I'm sorry. I should have talked to you first, I should have been more honest with you, I should have apologized sooner.

All my love for all my life,
Joshua M. Kiszka

I took a deep breath and released it slowly. His apology seemed genuine, and felt like it might be worth hearing him out.I wasn't ready to deal with it right now, so I left it sitting on the coffee table. Jake should be home any minute, so I began to tidy up before making dinner. When he walked in, I threw my arms around him and pulled him in for a hug.

"Awh, did you miss me, Opie?" He asked with his face pressed to mine. I could feel his smile widen.

"Almost always, Jakey," I replied as I kissed his cheek. I felt the warmth rush beneath my lips and I let out a giggle. "How was the studio?" I asked as we walked into the kitchen, and I motioned for him to sit at the table.

"It was actually really nice, but it's my last solo session for a while.." he said as he picked up the beer I had just sat in front of him. "We actually ran through Mountain Of The Sun, and I think it's going on the new album," he said excitedly. We both laughed lightly because we knew Josh was probably pushing for it, too.