Chapter 13-To Be Happy

Jake's POV
The next morning, I woke up early and got ready for the day, and to deliver the cookies to Josh and Opie. I left everyone else's in the kitchen, but I thought they deserved an apology. Before heading up, I sat down and wrote them notes. My first draft to Opie explained that I lied, I was falling in love with her, and that I wanted her to give me a chance...but that seemed wrong, so I scrapped it for

Opie,

I'm so sorry for everything. I didn't mean to upset you, and I hope you can forgive me.. I hope we can be friends. I just want you to be happy..

All my love,

Jake

That felt better. I didn't want to cause any more trouble for her and Josh. Truly, I just want her to be happy. I'd prefer it to be with me, but I couldn't deny that she seemed really happy with him. I looked down at the cookie I had decorated for her and realized that it looked more like a cloud or deformed sheep than a rose, so I quickly added a PS at the bottom that said

It's a rose, not a cloud hahaha

Knowing she would wake first, I brewed her some coffee while I readied the note for my twin. I sat forever, unsure of how to apologize or what to even say. "Sorry for liking your girlfriend" seemed weird, and "sorry about the black eye" felt less like an apology once I saw it in writing... I settled on

Josh,

I'm sorry about the fight. I was being a dick. You were right.

-Jake

That wasn't enough, but I was hoping it was enough to get him to talk to me. I carefully balanced the 2 plates and the mug of coffee as I snuck up the stairs. I gently kicked the door open and tiptoed to each nightstand to deliver the cookies, notes, and coffee. They looked peaceful wrapped in each other's arms with their wild hair splayed across the pillow. I hurried out before they could wake. There wouldn't be an easy explanation if I was busted in that scenario, I thought to myself and giggled.

Downstairs, Mom had taken her spot at the bar in the kitchen. She was still wearing her robe as she sipped coffee. I walked up behind her and hugged her. She put her hands on my forearms and gently pat them as she said, "Good morning, Jakey. You're up awful early!"

I didn't want to tell her I hardly slept, so I just replied, "I'm just excited to be home, Mom.." and let her go as I took a seat next to her, pouring my own cup of coffee. We sat in silence for a while just enjoying the company, when my stomach let out a loud growl. I giggled as I rubbed it to soothe the beast.

"Want to help me make breakfast?" Mom asked with a loud laugh that rivaled Josh's.

"Yes, please!" I beamed. "What are we making?" I asked, while silently hoping for pancakes.

"Pancakes sound good to you?" She asked. Thank goodness my mom is a mind reader. "That was always you boys' favorite," she said as she smiled brightly. I chuckled remembering how often we used to beg for pancakes and Ronnie would groan, not because she didn't like them but because we ate them so often.

"Sounds perfect to me!" I exclaimed before heading towards the cabinets to gather ingredients.

We made mountains of pancakes, and sat out all the toppings I could find. We had maple, strawberry, and blueberry syrup. Strawberries, blueberries, and peaches for fruit toppings. I also put out some whipped cream, white chocolate chips, and milk chocolate chips.

Opie came down in her pajamas carrying a plate and mug, but didn't say anything to me before scurrying back upstairs. Dad and Sammy made their way towards the smell of food, Ronnie had gone to a friend's house, Danny had gone to his parents', and the shower upstairs had been running a few minutes indicating Josh and Opie were both awake.