Chapter 18-Defeated

Jake's POV
After dropping Opie off at her apartment, I headed home to try to talk to Josh. I parked the car in the garage and grabbed a couple of airplane bottles of fireball that I had stashed in the freezer before heading to Josh's room.

I knocked gently on the door in case he was sleeping. "Come on in, Jakey," Josh said with a small voice, which was especially sad for him. I didn't know what to say, so I just sat down beside him and handed him a fireball bottle. He laughed, but we didn't say anything for a moment.

"I didn't kiss her...the girl at the bar," He said. "She kissed me, and I stopped her...but I guess you only saw the kiss," He continued. I nodded, still unsure of what to say or even what he was saying. "You can ask Sammy if you don't believe me! She went straight to him afterwards.."

I couldn't respond. What he was saying basically meant that I had caught just the wrong time, and then blown it out of proportion. Finally, I said, "it doesn't really matter either way.." because honestly, he had weeks to explain it to Opie and he hadn't bothered.

He got up to walk away and I followed after sensing his anger and fearing any rash decisions he might make. I found him browsing the fridge for alcohol before going back to his room defeated. I heard his door lock.

I sat down on the couch in the living room content with watching a movie, but my phone vibrated with a text.

Opie-can you please come over? I don't want to be alone..

I didn't even respond, I just grabbed my keys and left. I arrived at her door within a few moments, and knocked before letting myself in with the key she hid under her mat. Tomorrow, I'd have to convince her to find a better spot. "In here, Jakey," she called from her bedroom. I could hear how drunk she was already.

I walked in and sat down bin the corner of her bed, eyeing her suspiciously. She had already changed into a t-shirt and shorts, and I could see the bottle of vodka nearly empty on her nightstand. "Are you okay, Opie?" I asked.

"No," she said as she started to cry. I crawled over to her and held her to my chest, feeling her tears start to soak into my shirt.

I didn't know what to say or do, so I just held her close to me while she cried. She was sobbing loudly, and having a hard time catching her breath. "Opie, you've gotta slow down and breathe," I whispered into her hair hoping to sound comforting.

After a few minutes, she said, "Oh no," and made a weird gurgle sound before puking all over both of us. Normally, I'd gag or freak out, but she needed me right now, so I just carried her to the bathroom and started the shower. I held her hair while she threw up a few times in the toilet, before she settled some.

"Do you think you can get undressed and into the shower by yourself?" I asked hopefully. She stuck out her lower lip and shook her head no. I sighed and agreed to help. She held up her arms, and I lifted her shirt over her head. She giggled as the cool air hit her bare upper body. I held out my arm to hold and steady herself while stepping out of her shorts. I took off my shirt and pants, then helped Opie into the shower while still wearing my boxers.

She looked down and giggled. I groaned and giggled with her. I readied her toothbrush and handed it to her. While she did that, I washed her hair for her, careful to keep my eyes above her collar bone. She turned around to rinse, and was facing me directly. I blushed as I struggled to keep my eyes on hers. She leaned in and pressed her lips to mine. I felt heat rush through my whole body, and I wanted to just wrap her in my arms and run away with her. I knew she was far too drunk for this to be okay, though. I put my hand on her cheek and pushed her back as I pulled away. She pouted.