Chapter 31-Majestic

Jake's POV
"They're so fucking majestic," Opie said kind of loudly as she gazed at the giraffes. They were using their long tongues to take the greenery from our hands. I laughed out loud after being caught off guard by her comment.

"Opie, there's kids around.." I whispered as I nudged her gently with my elbow. She blushed wildly as she turned to apologize to the kids and parents surrounding us. They laughed and she turned to look at me with an embarrassed look on her face. I tucked her hair behind her ear, and she leaned in to kiss me gently before turning back to feed the giraffes again. I watched as she handed them pieces of leaves and treats while asking the keeper a bunch of questions. She's looked perfect and content. She's always beautiful, but that's not even my favorite thing about her. She's so funny and genuine..and I just feel more myself when I'm with her, but like the best version of myself.

Once we finished our turn, I held out my hand and she took it to walk back down the stairs. We remained tethered as we wandered around visiting the other animals. "Take me to your favorite one, Jakey," she said as she kissed my cheek. My heart fluttered, and I lead her towards the tigers.

I beamed as we made it to the big enclosure and saw a large cat basking in the sunshine by a waterfall. "We're not feeding these," I joked as we stood by watching the tigers lounge. After watching for a few minutes,the tigers weren't doing much, so we moved on fairly quickly.

She squeezed my hand asked, "Are you okay to keep going?" I nodded with a big smile before kissing her forehead and letting her lead me excitedly through the rest of the zoo. We loved seeing the mammals the most, but Opie really enjoyed the birds. The flamingos reminded us both of on stage Sammy, and we laughed for a while at the visual. The zoo made an announcement that they were closing soon, so we hurried to the gift shop.

We separated to find something for each other. Despite my protests, Opie wanted to get me something for my actual birthday since I got the guitar strap early. I wandered around until I found the baby giraffe stuffed animals. I selected the fluffiest one, paid for it, then waited by the exit for Opie to check out.

I was looking out the window when she jumped onto my back wrapping her arms and legs around me giggling in my ear. I reached back and raising her higher by lifting her butt slightly. She kissed my cheek and I carried her to the car. I sat her on the hood instead of in her seat, and stayed between her legs as I leaned closer. She grinned and pulled my face closer to hers. I smiled as our lips met. I had one hand resting on her hip and the other holding her face. She had both arms tucked tightly around me. I didn't want to stop kissing her, but knew we had one more stop..kind of.

She groaned when I pulled away causing me to laugh loudly because I felt the same way. Once we were in the car, we traded bags. She pulled the baby giraffe from my bag and squealed as she hugged it to her chest. "I shall name him Journey," she stated with a smile. I beamed at her happiness. I pulled a small white tiger from the bag she gave me, and smiled even wider.

"I think I'll name her Truth.." I said quietly as I found her a spot on the dashboard out of the way.

"There's one more thing," she said as she motioned for me to keep looking. I pulled out a necklace with a tigers eye pendant on it. I looped it over my head and kissed her cheek. "Happy birthday, Jakey...I hope it was a good one," she said with a smile.

"It's not over, yet, sugar babe," I said half teasing and referencing the song from earlier. She blushed and I was helpless to my attraction to her. She leaned in and kissed me, and I had to hold my breath to keep from starting another make out session or taking it further. When she pulled away, I sighed and drove us home.

When we pulled up there was a box by her door. I had ordered a meal kit so we could cook together. I was really hoping she'd like the idea. She hurried and carried the box in, still clutching Journey close. "Jacob Kiszka...are we about to cook a romantic dinner together?" She said excitedly. I nodded and smiled unable to form words because she was so excited and that made me so happy. "We're going to have a hard time topping this for our second date," she teased.

"Does that mean you'd want to go on a second date with me?" I said as a toothy grin danced across my face.

"Of course!" She beamed.

"Can you get everything out of the box, and I'll go get some candles for the table?" I asked. She nodded and blushed at the thought of a romantic  candlelit dinner. I loved being able to make her cheeks that shade of pink.

buzz buzz buzz

Dr JMK- I broke it off with Lauren. I'm so sorry about everything. I miss you, brother.

I was surprised honestly, and I debated not responding. He would be upset to know how things are progressing with Opie, but I don't really care. I won't ever hurt her like he did. I sent him a quick response.

- I miss you, too, Joshy. We'll talk soon.

That would be an interesting conversation when it happened. I grabbed a candle from the hall closet and met Opie in the kitchen. She had already started cutting the potatoes, so I put on a John Denver vinyl then washed my hands to help.

Together, we prepared a beef tenderloin, green beans, and roasted potatoes. I paired it with a red wine, and restarted the vinyl before we sat down at the table to eat together.

"This all looks amazing," I said as I looked over the plate in front of me.

Opie smiled and said, "Yeah, we make a pretty good team."

I blushed a little, and reached out with my left hand to hold hers on top of the table. "I really like you, Opie," I said quietly before I took my first bite.

"I really like you, too," she replied with a wide smile. She held my gaze for a moment before looking away with pink cheeks and taking a few bites of food. "I'm sorry for everything with Josh. I feel like I wrote you off too quickly, and it wasn't fair.." she said softly in a sad tone.

After swallowing the mouthful of food I had, I said, "Please don't worry about that... one of my favorite things about you is that you follow your heart so fearlessly. You're giving me a chance now, and that's all I ever wanted." I smiled and took a few more bites to keep from rambling. If i talked for too much longer, I'd end up professing my love for her..and I don't think she's ready for that, yet. She didn't say anything, but we smiled and stole glances for the rest of dinner.

I gathered our plates and brought them to the sink to wash, and she trailed behind me offering to dry them. I accepted her help with a smile. "I had the best birthday, Ophelia. Thank you," I said as I handed her a plate.

She blushed and nudged my shoulder with hers. "I had a really good time, too," she replied as she dried the last dish. She shot me a mischievous grin before heading towards the record player and putting a new one on.

She came back to the kitchen and put her hands on my hips to spin me to face her. I pulled her close as we began to sway along to the music. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as we danced. I wrapped my arms around her waist, letting one hand drift dangerously close to her butt, while she hooked her wrists behind my head. We swayed along to You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker, and I found myself singing the lyrics softly.

You are so beautiful...To me
Can't you see?
You're everything I hoped for,
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful..To me

She leaned in and kissed me until the song ended, and we spent the rest of the evening dancing until she got tired. I carefully carried her to bed and climbed in beside her. I held her tight as she settled into her little spoon spot, and I nuzzled into the back of her neck. "I love you so much, Opie girl," I whispered as I started to drift off to sleep.