Chapter 33-Redo

Jake's POV
Opie sat down in the passenger seat of my car, and looked very flustered. I had spent the last hour pacing around the record store waiting for her text. I knew how much Ioved her, and I felt like she felt the same...but the idea of her being alone with Josh made me want to throw up. I was just about to ask how lunch was when she said, "I can't wait for our date tonight.." Thank goodness.

"Me either, babe," I said with a smile as I put my hand in hers in her lap. She looked over at me and smiled back as she tucked her hair behind her ear. "You're so beautiful," I sighed as I drove back home. She blushed and turned the radio up so we could sing along.

When we walked in to the apartment, I said, "Babe, you may want to change into warmer clothes because we're going to be outside kind of late tonight.." she beamed and hurried off to get dressed. I used this time to pack a picnic for the two of us. I included a quick charcuterie board and a bottle of red wine, a bottle of rosé, and a bottle of white wine. I stashed the basket in the back of the car with a few blankets before Opie came out. She was wearing jeans and one of my denim shirts. She left it open at the top like I did a lot, and I giggled as I took her hand. I looked down to kiss her hand chivalrously, but I noticed her ring was missing.

"Opie..you took off your ring?" I asked in a confused tone. She smiled at me and spoke softly.

"After my time with Josh, I realized how much you mean to me. I love Josh, and I probably always will...but I'm in love with you, Jacob," she said in an almost whisper. I felt like my heart either stopped or was beating a million beats a minute, and my breath got caught in my throat. I looked into Opie's eyes halfway expecting a laugh or gesture to indicate I was being pranked or something, but it didn't come. Instead, she took my face in her delicate hands and repeated herself. "I'm in love with you Jacob Thomas Kiszka.."

My lips were pulled to hers like magnets. As they crashed together, I felt like there were literal sparks flying. I pulled away after a moment, and gazed into her dazed hazel eyes. I smiled as I replayed her words in my head before saying, "Ophelia, I'm in love with you, too." She kissed me again briefly before I pulled away. "We have a date to go to, babe.." I reminded her lightly.

She groaned as we walked to the car, and smiled widely when I ran back for my guitar. "Ooooh are you going to serenade me tonight?" She teased. I laughed out loud because she was right. I was keeping that to myself for now though, so I just shook my head and kept driving. I stole glances every chance I could get, and caught her doing the same. Her eyes sparkle in the sunshine coming through the windshield, and she closes them to bask in the heat. I'll never get over how gorgeous she is. She turned as she opened her eyes and caught me looking causing us both to blush. I faced the road again, and felt her lips press against my cheek. "I love you, Jakey," she whispered as she tickled my chin like she was petting a cat. I giggled, and knew she saw how red my cheeks were.

"We're almost there, if you want to put your shoes back on.." I said because she always took her shoes off in the car if we rode for more than 5 minutes. She laughed and began the process as I pulled into the parking area.

Once parked, I got out and opened her door before grabbing my guitar and the basket. Opie grabbed the blankets as I slung the guitar case behind me. I looked up to see her grinning from ear to ear. "A picnic?" She nearly squealed before kissing me lightly.

"I thought we could have a sort of redo on what I had hoped would be our first date.." I began but noticed her face change. "It's different, though. I swear!" I finished as I lead her up a trail to a clearing by a lake. "No mountains, no hiking, no Josh..just us relaxing by a lake with a picnic, wine and my guitar," I said with a smile.

"Jacob, I love it!" She said as she chose a spot before spreading out a big blanket. I sat the basket and my guitar down before grabbing Opie and surprising her. She gasped as I lifted her and spun with her in my arms. She brushed hair out of my face and held my cheeks as she kissed me. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the delicate dancing of our tongues.