Chapter 23-Never

Josh's POV
"I've gotta take this," Ophelia said as she stepped into the bathroom. I had been trying to convince her to stay in bed with me, but had slowly been losing the battle as she got dressed then took the phone call.

I laid on my stomach with my head towards the foot of the bed, flipping through movies on netflix. I finally settled on Step Brothers, and giggled as I waited on my beautiful girlfriend to return. I had tried my best to forget about the afternoon with Lauren, despite her hanging out here with Jake regularly while Ophelia was at work.

Ophelia walked out of the bathroom smiling. Her beauty always catches me off guard in the weirdest ways. Her nose scrunched up a little when she smiled at me specifically and I wanted to just yank her back in bed with me. She walked over and sat beside me before kissing my shoulder and lightly smacking my bare butt.

"Oooh mama! You know I'm always down, but it's too bad you're already dressed," I said in an attempt to flirt.

She playfully pushed me, "Joshyyy, you know I have errands to run today...I'll meet you back here this evening, though. You and Jake are going out for drinks, right?"

"Yeah yeah, but I'd rather spend the day in bed with you," I replied with a wink. She leaned in and kissed me, I put my hand on her cheek pulling her back in. She broke free and smiled. I groaned audibly and said, "fine..I love you, Ophelia, and I'll see you tonight," with a big smile.

"Tonight," she repeated before backing out of the door and leaving for the day. I finished the movie, then got dressed in my white shirt and khakis before meeting Jake in the living room. He had practically begged me to go out with him tonight for our birthday since he had plans with Lauren on that day.

We wandered downtown Nashville visiting all the good thrift stores and record stores, spending as much time as we wanted at each. Eventually, Jake suggested we head back to get ready for tonight.

I ran through a shower and quickly brushed my teeth, ran my fingers through my hair, and put on some deodorant. Ophelia had laid out a beautiful blue suit with gold stars and a white shirt. I paired it with a pair of brown loafers and my usual jewelry.

We discussed some of the songs we have been working on during our ride. I was confused when we pulled up to the movie theater, but figured Jake was just messing with me and I decided to roll with it. We walked inside, and it all looked so different. There were patterned rugs all over the lobby and colorful drapes hung everywhere. Suddenly, Ophelia jumped out screaming, "Happy birthday, Joshy!"

I blushed and then a crowd of people erupted from the shadows yelling, "Surprise!"

My mouth fell open seeing all my friends and coworkers. I started walking towards Ophelia to thank her when I saw my mom and dad. I looked back to Ophelia to see her nodding giving me permission to go to my parents next instead of her.

"Mama, I can't believe you're here!" I said as I wrapped both arms around her.

"That wonderful girlfriend of yours insisted on flying us in to surprise you," she whispered into my shoulder.

Dad joined in on the hug and said, "I'm not sure how you landed that one, but she's a keeper, Josh," in a teasing tone.

"Oh she's sticking around if I can help it," I laughed as we parted and I headed towards Ophelia. She flashed me a beautiful smile, and I nearly broke into a jog to meet her.

I almost made it when I heard Jake yell, "Don't you dare touch her! Don't fucking touch her!"

I turned to see him closing the distance between us at a sprint. Ophelia tried to step between us, but he was already in my face.