Chapter 30-Good

Ophelia's POV
"I love you so much, Opie girl," Jake whispered after kissing my forehead. I was nearly asleep, but definitely awake enough to hear that. I fought back the urge to smile, figuring it's safer to pretend I didn't hear him for now. He rested his forehead against mine and we both fell asleep.

The next morning, I carefully climbed out of bed and brushed my hair and teeth before sneaking into the kitchen. I quickly changed into my ice cream shirt, and decided that I wanted to make waffles for breakfast. I rescued the waffle maker from the pantry, and plugged it in to warm up while I mixed the ingredients. I sprayed it with some nonstick spray, and ladled in some waffle mixture. After closing it and turning it to cook, I gathered some toppings. I sat out chocolate chips, whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries, butter, and syrup.

I heard Jake yawn for the bedroom, so I placed our waffles on plates at our seats. Then I walked back into the bedroom and sat down beside him. "Good morning, Jakey," I said as I leaned down to kiss his cheek.

"What's that for?" He asked with a big goofy grin. Even with his eyes still puffy with sleep, he looked so handsome. I blushed at his question and shrugged. Truthfully I didn't really think about it, it just happened.

"Come get some breakfast..I made waffles," I said in a sing-song voice. He smiled even wider as he jumped out of bed nearly racing me to the table.

"This looks and smells amazing, Opie!" He said as he sat down.

"Happy birthday, Jake," I beamed. He blushed and smiled back.

"Thank you, but you didn't have to do anything special," he said softly. He's too cute when he's bashful.

"I know I didn't have to, but I wanted to..." I said as I reached over and squeezed his thigh. "After everything, you deserve the best birthday," I added.

"Do you know what I really want for my birthday?" He asked. I felt a smile creep across my face, because I had a feeling what he wanted. We had both been so careful not to cross any lines, but he was not shy about making it known that he likes me. I was already nodding when he said, "Let me take you out on an actual date."

"I'd love that, Jakey," I said with a big smile. We already finished breakfast, and I went to shower while Jake washed the dishes. I tried to fight him on it, but he wasn't having it. I showered relatively quickly and threw on a little black dress. It was cute but needed something else...I saw Jake's black wide-brim hat hung on a hook by the door, and knew it would be perfect. I grabbed a pair of black ankle boots, and walked towards the living room.

I hesitated in the doorway because I heard Jake singing while playing the guitar. He played regularly, but didn't sing often. I was enamored with his voice and how beautiful he looked as he sang.

The sun shines brighter from above
And you're the woman that I love
We climb the mountain even higher
Kiss the sun, fight the fire

I'll make you mine
You're my sunshine
I'll make you mine
You're my sunshine

I had made my way to sit beside him and sang along as he finished the song. From the emotion and honesty I felt from him, a realization hit me like a semi-truck. "You wrote that...didn't you?" I asked softly. He nodded, probably unsure how I was going to react. Josh had lead me to believe he had wrote it or at least helped...but listening to Jake just now, made it abundantly clear it was 100% Jake. "Why did you let Josh take any credit for it?" I asked as I locked eyes with Jake. He sat silently for a moment, so I scooted closer and put my hand on his back rubbing small reassuring circles.

He sat the guitar down and turned his body towards mine. "You two were so happy, and I didn't want to mess it up.. I wrote it after the first day we all went hiking together," he said gently as he looked away. I remembered the day he mentioned. I had picked Josh and tried my best to let Jake down easy. I tugged at the necklace that hung from my neck. The edges of the moon had gone smooth from all the times I had turned it in my hands. Now, I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice..