Chapter 16-Space

I felt my heart start to beat faster as I waited for Jake to say something. He sat his guitar down, and scooted closer to me as he took out his phone.

"There was an...incident, early on in the tour," he began. I felt my whole body cringe as I waited for more information. "We had all gone out partying after a show, and I guess got a little carried away, because this happened..." he said as he showed me his phone screen.

I scanned the entire photo, seeing familiar fluffy hair tangled with hands I didn't recognize. It looked like the two people were kissing, but I couldn't make it make sense in my head. I kept shaking my head and saying no because I couldn't understand. He had to have called me the night this happened, and we definitely spoke the next day. How could he have done this? How could he not have told me? I leaned back into the couch and sat silently trying to understand, until the tears started to roll down my face. Jake put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer as he kissed the top of my head.

"I'm so sorry, Opie..." he began, and my sobs got louder. "I just thought you should know," he said with a sigh as he continued to hold me allowing me to sob into his chest. "I'm here if you need anything at all, okay?" He tried to comfort me. I felt the necklace he had gotten me, and twirled the sun in my hand. It suddenly felt very heavy and I had to fight the urge to remove it. It was not Jake's fault it reminded me of Josh.

Once I had dried my tears enough, I tiptoed back into Josh's room as quietly as I could to grab my things. I cannot even think about staying in the same room as him anymore. I grabbed my clothes and my shoes, and started to walk towards the door to leave, fully intending on walking home at 2am.

Jake was sitting in the living room still when I walked past. "Hey!" he said, causing me to stop and look at him. "I know you don't want to see him, but I thought you may want to wait until daylight to leave. You could sleep in my room, or we can sit out here watching TV.." he offered. I felt a smile form on my lips.

"I was just going to walk home, but I wouldn't mind some TV time with you..." I softly said. He scooted over and motioned for me to join him on the couch. I sat down beside him, and reached for the tv remote. I picked out my favorite trashy reality tv show, and settled back against Jake's chest. He used his hand to smooth my hair and kissed the top of my head. I smiled and let myself relax.

I don't remember when it happened, but at some point I fell asleep. I woke up with my head in Jake's lap, as he ran his fingers through my hair. I looked up to check on him, and saw that he had also drifted off leaned against the back of the couch. He looked uncomfortable, but he started to smile when he noticed I was awake.

"Good morning, Opie," he said sleepily. I leaned up and kissed his cheek. He pulled me into a hug and squeezed me tightly. It felt really nice, until I remembered why I was out here with him instead of snuggled up to a sleeping Josh. I groaned at the realization and sat up slowly. My body ached from the sleeping position I ended up in, and my head hurt from the tears. "We can talk if you want, Opie...I'm here for you, always," Jake said sweetly.

I kissed his cheek gently and said, "Maybe later," with a smile. I got up and stretched before walking to the kitchen for coffee. I poured a cup for Jake and myself. I added a little sugar and cream to mine, and just a splash of cream to his. I sat back down on the couch beside him and passed him his cup. He sipped it and smiled, so I assumed I got his preference correct. After a few moments of comfortable silence, I heard Josh's door open. He sleepily wandered into the living room and sat on the other side of me yawning.

"You guys are up early," he chuckled. I looked at him, and felt tears start to form in my eyes. It hurt knowing what had happened, and it hurt that he kept it from me, but it hurt even more looking into his warm brown eyes and not being able to trust him.