Chapter 3-Will you ever win?

Josh and I rounded the last bend to see Sam and Danny were play fighting in the grass by the car. Sammy would run up and slap Danny's arm before running away as Danny chased him down to return the slap. Their laughter was loud and free as they goofed off together. Sammy noticed us coming down the trail, and grabbed Danny's arm to hurry to meet us.

"Ooooooooh! It's about time you two love birds came back," Danny teased with a grin as he pushed the loose hairs behind his ears.

"Josh and Opie sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g," Sammy sang as he and Danny bubbled with giggled.

Josh threw his head back laughing before looking to me and saying, "I don't remember a tree, do you?" He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me in until our sides were pressed together. I felt my cheeks burn at the unexpected closeness and smiled up at Josh as my heart fluttered.

Suddenly, Jake shoved past us, shoulder checking Josh as he went. Sammy and Danny shared a confused look of concern then ran ahead to check on him. "Jake! Wait up!" I could hear them protesting as they ran.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"Oh...that?" Josh asked quietly. "After we met you last night, Jake and I got into a disagreement...but it's going to be fine, I promise," Josh said solemnly.

I smiled at him knowing that was all the explanation I would get for now. So I took his hand in mine, interlacing our fingers as we hurried to catch up with everyone else.

The hike was difficult and long, but it was worth it when we reached the top. After walking for an hour or so, the five of us were on top of a rocky outlook, that offered a gorgeous view of the forest below.

Josh gave my hand a squeeze and a small kiss as he noticed how taken I was with the scene. I looked up at him to see him smiling from ear to ear watching me. "The view is gorgeous," I said in amazement.

Josh flashed me a cheeky grin and wink as he said, "Yes it is!" I playfully slapped his arm with my free hand.

"You're so cheesy!" I said through giggles.

Sammy and Danny started to sneak off to smoke, but shot Josh a questioning look. I could tell Josh wanted to join them, so I released his hand, and gave him a nod to go ahead. He leaned in and kissed my cheek before running off to catch up with his youngest brothers.

I let my eyes wander; It really was beautiful. The trees below were mostly bare, but there were patches of evergreen trees scattered throughout. The clouds appeared to be around us inStead of above us, and we were surrounded by the bright blue sky. The rocky area we were standing on was mostly gray with a few swirls of white throughout the bigger rocks. There was a well worn path from the trail to the edge, but moss covered most of the other areas.

As I scanned the area, I noticed Jake was sitting on the ground near the edge of the outlook. I walked towards him and asked, "is it alright if I join you?" He nodded and I sat down beside him. I held my breath for a moment waiting for him to speak, but he continued to sit silently looking out. He absentmindedly kicked as his feet dangled over the edge, and he tossed small rocks towards the trees below.

"Hey, Jake," I said as I offered him a friendly smile. He looked up at me with eyes so sad that my heart nearly shattered. I felt my smile drop, and I wrapped my arms around him. "Please tell me what's wrong.." I whispered into his shoulder before backing away to listen.

"It's dumb," he said as he shook his head. I waited in silence as he decided how to begin. "It's just going to sound silly if I explain.."

"What do you mean?" I asked patiently but could feel my annoyance growing.