Chapter 9-Nothing

I heard Josh yell, and then a loud crash upstairs, and watched as Danny and Sam dropped what they were doing and took off towards the sound. I realized I hadn't seen Josh or Jake in a few minutes, so I followed after.

When I reached the door to the bedroom they were in, Danny had had his arms hooked under Jake's shoulder holding him up. Jake had blood pouring from his nose, and covering his shirt. Josh was on the ground and Sammy was crouched behind him with his arms wrapped around his chest ready to brace. Josh had a black eye forming, and blood dripping from a small cut on his eyebrow. He glanced up and met my eyes with his own apologetic ones.

"What the fuck..." is all I could say. It wasn't a question, but more of a state of confusion. I walked to Jake first, and looked closely at his face to see if his nose looked broken. "You okay?" I asked dryly. He wiped his nose on his sleeve and nodded without looking back at me. I walked over to Josh, as he stood up to greet me. He held out his arms for a hug that I bypassed. I touched his cheek bone under his black eye and he winced. "Why?" I asked.

"He kissed you," he mumbled as he looked away clearly embarrassed. He should be honestly. He and his twin brother just fought like children. I'm sure Mama K is going to be upset.

"It was before we were official, and I kissed him back.." I added as I searched his face for any clues as to what he was thinking.

"I asked him about it just like I asked you, and he lied..he said it meant nothing, but nothing is ever nothing with Jake.." he spouted with a twinge of attitude. I wouldn't have said nothing but it didn't matter now anyway. I looked back at Jake who just looked annoyed that this conversation was still happening.

"Why does it matter, Josh?" I asked softly still not understanding his anger.

"Can we please talk about this later?" He pleaded. I nodded and walked back towards Jake.

"What the fuck, dude?" I asked dejectedly.

"Opie, I-" he began but I interrupted.

"It meant nothing to you?" I waited for a response this time.

"....yes, it was just a kiss.." he said in an unsteady tone. He found his confidence and continued, "it meant nothing to me. I'm sorry for making you feel otherwise."

My jaw fell open, but I had nothing to say. I just stared at him and his emotionless face. I walked away defeated and unsure why I was so upset by his statement.

"Can I put you down now, Jakey?" Danny asked as he struggled to hold Jake any longer.

"Yeah, I'm good.." he said. As soon as his feet touched the ground, he brushed off his clothes and walked out of the room. Sammy and Danny  looked to Josh and I before shrugging and trailing behind Jake.

I walked over and sat down on the bed, motioning for Josh to join. He obliged and scooted close enough for our legs to be touching. His closeness already melting away my anger.

"Why did you and Jake fight really?" I asked plainly.

"After I asked him about kissing you, he lied," He began as I watched intently. "I told him I knew he was lying and asked him to tell me if he lied to me when he said it meant nothing or.." he paused, "or if he lied to Dad when he said he still loves you."

"Wow...I guess he lied to us both at one point." I shook my head. I am not sure what's up with Jake. He told me he loved me, told his dad he loves me, then told me it was all a lie. Tired of the thoughts circling my mind, I asked, "And?" hoping for further clarification.

"And he got an attitude with me saying he didn't have to tell me anything and that we weren't dating when you two kissed.." he explained. "My fist flew before I even realized what was happening." He shrugged.