Chapter 34-He's Not Jake

Opie's POV
After watching Jake chase after Sammy, I was suddenly acutely aware that I was not wearing pants and that I had never been alone with Danny. I shrugged and passed him the open bottle of Rosé. He sat down beside me and took a big sip.

"So you and Jake, huh?" He asked nonchalantly. I giggled at the directness and his calm demeanor.

"Yeah," I replied before taking another sip. "After everything with Josh, I had no intentions of dating anyone...but Jake makes me feel warm and safe in a way I haven't experienced before.." I trailed off until I felt Danny's strong arm wrap around my shoulder for a quick side hug.

"Are you dating Jake?" he asked softly. I shook my head No and he smiled. "Not yet, then. Are you happy?" He continued as he ran his hand through his long dark hair.

I sighed and said, "Very happy, actually," with a goofy grin. "When I'm with Jake, I feel like I found a part of me that I didn't know was missing," I began, turning to see Danny watching me and listening intently. "I loved Josh, and I feel like I probably always will...but.." I trailed off again.

"He's not Jake," Danny finished for me. I nodded, and he smiled. "I'm happy for you two," he beamed and squeezed me into another hug. "Do you have plans to talk to Josh?" He asked gently.

"I actually had lunch with him today, but I think I fucked up.." I winced as I spoke. He sat quietly waiting for me to continue. "I told him that I forgive him, which I do..but he told me he loved me and that he wanted to make us work...I told him I love him, too, which would be confusing enough, but I let him think we were fixable.." I finished.

"Oh woof...you love them both?" He asked to clarify.

I nodded and said, "but in different ways.."

He nodded, too. "Are you and Josh fixable?" he asked with a concerned look.

I felt tears pooling in my eyes as the realization hit me. "No, I don't think so," I sniffed before tears started to fall in streams.

"Shit!" Danny said as he pulled me into a hug. I hate that I'm always crying on someone. He started rubbing circles on my back and gently patting as he said, "Hey hey hey, it's okay....please don't cry." I was able to calm down enough to smile up at him as I pulled away.

I couldn't contain my giggles. I can't decide if he's really good at this or really bad. "Thank you, Danny...this was a really enlightening talk," I said as I wiped my tears on my sleeve.

He smiled and said, "Just follow your heart, it won't steer you wrong." He winked at me and shot me with a finger gun before throwing his head back laughing. Definitely bad at it, but in an endearing way.

"So wise," I teased as we watched Jake and Sammy return. They were playing like Sam and Danny had earlier so I knew they made up. Thank goodness!

Jake sat down beside me and picked up his guitar. He played as we all took turns snacking on the platter of food and drinking the wine. Sammy squeezed in between Danny and I, so Danny moved to accommodate.

"Opie, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings if I did.." he whispered as he leaned towards me.

"You didn't hurt my feelings, Sammy! I know the band has to be a priority for all of you, but especially for Jakey," I said and winced as I let the nickname slip.

"Jakey?!?" Sam teased as he let out loud laughter that I couldn't help but to join. He elbowed me gently. "He really likes you, you know," he whispered.

"She knows I like her, dumbass," Jake said loudly while he continued playing a song I didn't recognize. I laughed so hard that I snorted and Sammy shot me a look.