Chapter 29

Jennie

"I'm Doctor Han. Please take a seat." The man smiled, gesturing towards the chair right across his end of the desk. The lines on his forehead and either sides of his mouth became more perceptible, as he curved his lips, adding a few more years to the man's middle aged face.

"Ms. Kim, was it?"

"Jennie would be fine." I attempted to return a small smile, my vision still preoccupied with the overwhelming number of certificates and accolades that adorned every inch of the man's room.

"Here it is." He handed me an opaque emerald file, as promised. I gently gripped it, running my fingers over the embossed black letters.

Patient Evaluation Records / Psychiatric Diagnosis

"We're sorry it had to be this late. We were in a process with the university..." He began in a nearly automated tone, but I had already tuned out. I flickered it open, my sight landing on the first page.

Name: Manoban, Lisa

Date of Admission: 08.08.2016

I raked my eyes sloppily along the length of the contents of the page, in case I was to spot something pivotal. The list wasn't quite long, yet in my eyes it seemed to drag into never-endingless.

"Miss Jennie Kim?"

I jerked my head up immediately, almost giving myself a whiplash in the process.

"I hope you understand. We're sorry if it hampered your project." He continued, apparently not paying much heed to my lack of both interest and attention. I shook my head gently, "It's fine. I just," I took in a heavy breath, "I wanted to ask you something, about Lisa Manoban, if it's okay."

Doctor Han uncrossed his arms, "Of course, why not?"

The events that took place two nights ago came to my brain, replaying fresh like a movie scene almost, but only, stained in the colour red. "I think there's something wrong with.." I was forced to pause, realizing there were absolutely no human words to convey what exactly happened to be the hiccup.

I shook my head, "I have a reason to believe Lisa isn't exactly...guilty."

The doctor tilted his head, leaning back in his seat. "What makes you say that?"

"I was just pointing out some inconsistencies in the pattern of the murders..."

"What inconsistencies?"