Chapter 69

Jennie

I woke up to the ever blinding rays of the sun raining down on my willowy form. I rose up, still heavy-eyed as I glanced at my watch, sighing quietly on realizing I'd already missed two of my morning classes.

It didn't bother me much though; It was the longest, the most peaceful sleep I'd had in the last five days. Five days. It'd been five exact days since the ground under my feet had slipped away with the force of silent hurricanes.

Five entire days since Lisa Manoban had vanished into thin air like nothing but lapsing mist.

I brought my hands to my temples, pinching each side in exasperation, before getting up and hoping to make it through another insipid day. The rest of the morning went by a blur. Mindless chatter impregnated the entirety of the campus.

I walked past all the people quietly, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear mindlessly. I felt a pang of envy for all the people bursting with charismatic energy, smiling and laughing, so blissfully unaware of the doom that had only started to begun.

Both Mino and I had been called down to the station for investigation, the very next day after Lisa's escape. Mino was released within fifteen minutes, while I had been questioned for well over half an hour.

Albeit on the positive side, it was nothing-out-of-the-ordinary, routine questions only, considering I'd been close to Lisa Manoban for over a month. At least I wasn't a person of interest in the matter.

Not to mention, both Mino and I had been strictly instructed to not a breathe a word about this to anyone. It was being kept under the covers for now, to prevent panic amongst the public apparently.

Unlike me, these people could sleep at night peacefully, never once expecting a deranged killer to knock down their doors. They needn't look behind their back every few minutes, just to be sure that they are not being followed by a lunatic.

Ignorance sure was bliss.