Chapter 73

Jennie

Hanbin: Coffee tomorrow?

I read the message abstractedly, not paying my full attention to the words flashing on my cell phone. I was lost so deep in my pondering, that I couldn't even process the fact that Kim Hanbin was asking me out. I finally decided to put my phone away, looking around the room inquisitively, noting the lack of furniture, except for the TV in the corner and the dingy couch that I was sitting on.

As I caught sight of the numerous brown boxes that lay scattered over the flooring, it suddenly struck me. "You're leaving." I asserted, taken aback for a moment.

It was at that moment, that the raven haired woman that I had been patiently waiting for to return, decided to finally make an appearance. "I am."

Kim So-yeon stood placidly at the door frame, a box labelled as cutlery in her hands. "Jeju would be a nice change of air."

I almost didn't catch the darker undercurrent that her sentence carried. "When do you leave?" I prodded.

"Just as soon as the investigation ends. Till then I'm staying at a friend's in Hongdae. You know, the whole 'don't leave the state before investigation's over' thing."

I couldn't help but notice the little hints of panic in So-yeon's tone, how she couldn't keep eye contact with me for more than a few seconds, or even the jittery body language. It was like looking at my own reflection in a mirror . So-yeon was terrified out of her mind, there was no doubt in that.

With a deep breath, I began, "Have you told anybody?" I didn't even have to elaborate for So-yeon to immediately understand what I was talking about.

She shook her head as she brought the glass to her lips. "God, no. It's driving me nuts seeing people going on about their day, all happy, not knowing..." She trailed off, her eyes glossing up, "I still can't get over what happened to Hae-jin." She blinked her eyes rapidly, to stop herself from tearing up.

For a brief second, my mind conjured up the image of So-yeon from that day, a crying mess to say the least. But that's precisely what happens when a loved one is found cold dead on the floor. Every moment you spent with them, now nothing but an essence in your mind and soul. And unfortunately, I knew about this feeling all too well.

My fingers fidgeted with the fragile glass, "Why are they making us keep this thing a secret? Everyone deserves to know if a crazy serial killer is out there." My words made So-yeon sigh, "They have to keep it under wraps. If people knew that 'The Seoul Ripper' was on the loose, the public would go berserk."

"Yeah, but to lie to them? Lieutenant Jang Hyuk just talked about the murder in the press this morning and he didn't even mention Lisa. How are people supposed to be cautious if they don't even know who to be cautious of!?"

So-yeon shook her head, "It's not just that.." She pinched her forehead, apprehension written wide and clear on her features.

"Look. If the word gets out, the state is going to get into a shit storm."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

So-yeon looked at me discerningly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Honey, look. There are things you are too young to underst..."

"So-yeon." I calmly sliced through her digressions, while bringing my eyes up to hers and took a deep breath.

"I spent two entire months with Lisa Manoban. I need to know."