Chapter 140

Jennie

It was only mighty late in the evening that I was able to get back home. I was completely spent, mentally drained and physically exhausted. I staggered into my room, almost missing my footing with how thrown I felt. Mino followed suit wordlessly.

Although Agent Lee had offered to have an officer drop me back to the university campus, there was no way I could, in good conscious, accept any help from the man who was quite possibly investigating and tailing me. I had felt terribly guilty about calling Mino to come pick me up, when I was all the way out there with his car in the first place. But Mino of course didn't have to be asked twice. The car ride back home was bursting at the seams with unease.

Mino had clearly never been the biggest fan of Professor Lee, perhaps owing it to how high-handed and rigid she had always been with her students. But even he had plummeted himself into atypical silence. It's not every day that someone you have grown accustomed to see day after day is found decapitated and burnt.

"I got to use the bathroom." I announced to Mino in a low whisper, finding him seated all the way over on the corner of my bed, staring at the floor. Stumbling into the bathroom, wasting no time at all, I went straight for the sink. The feeling of cool water splashing all over my face did not, unfortunately for me, have the soothing effect that I'd desperately hoped it would. The water that drenched my face and dripped down my clavicle, refused to erase the sulphur-like stink of rotting flesh from my nostrils.

All I could see was Professor Lee's lifeless gaze everywhere I looked; in the white tiles, in the crystal water, and even in the mirror. Professor Lee had never quite seemed human, perpetually pristine and principled. Her cold aptitude was perhaps, what had piqued my interest in her classes in the first place. I simply loved how she didn't bullshit anyone. Little did I know. I could no longer discern what was real and what wasn't.

My perfect professor was secretly someone who had hybristophilia, a person whose twisted secret may have drawn her to possibly aid an unhinged serial killer to break out of confinement and recommence her murder spree.

Who was the real Professor El Lee? But more importantly; how do you then know what is real?

It's as if my head racked with these questions were wreaking havoc on my sanity, that a soft pounding came from outside. It took a second for me to realize that the knock wasn't on the bathroom door, but coming from outside my room. I walked to the door, gripping my fingers around the handle to swing it open, when a voice spoke.

"Is Jennie in?"