Chapter 118

Jennie

Minutes spun like silk into hours, as I was left to stew in my morbid thoughts. My breathing was becoming more and more spasmodic with time and my head whirled like a carousel; I needed my pills.

Every once in a while, the same thudding noise would come from the other side of the walls and jolt me up in fear, as if it were the sound of Death itself. I rued the day I stepped foot into that psychiatric institution. I rued the day I ever even applied for the scholarship of that damn subject.

And it was in the middle of my bitter thoughts, that a distinct sound went off behind me - the sound of wood chaffing against the floor. Ignoring the stiffness in my neck,I twisted it to the side, letting my eyes roll over their best to the periphery.

Instantly I whipped my face back around, shutting my eyelids close, suddenly wishing I hadn't seen that. Slow, but firm footsteps taunted me from behind. The sound of creaking floorboard stopped just inches from where I sat, my body suddenly erupting into violent shivers as terror rattled my bones.

For a minute nothing happened, it all stood still, before I felt a light but unmistakable pressure of fingertips, inching its way on my shoulder. I froze, goose bumps appearing all over my skin at the scathing contact. My lips quivered as I felt the cold fingertips drum against my shoulders cynically. Moments of excruciating silence flickered by, before the sound of a heavy exhale reached my ears.

"I've thought about it." her liquid silk voice sliced the thick silence.

My clenched eyelids flew open. All these months later, and yet her voice didn't fail to disarm me. It was her. This was real.

"I've thought about it for a while now, you see, it's been too long since I last saw you kitten." The sardonic tone in her words flowed like river water. Only after a long drawn out pause did she speak again, and this time, another hand was rested over my other shoulder.

"What am I going to do to you?"

I almost jumped out of my skin, for the last sentence was whispered right into my ears. She had drawn herself too close for comfort, with her face so close to my neck, I could hear her breathe, so calm and steady. The scent of a midnight's ocean breeze was choking my senses.I turned my face away from hers, fearing my cheek might touch with her nose, my teeth gritted together.

She let go of my shoulders, straightening up in my peripheral vision, before stalking over to finally face me. It was then that I lost all sense of reality. I could swear her eyes were darker. Maybe it was the lighting of the room, maybe it was the intent deep inside of them being reflected. Her lips were stretched into a thin line, placid, quite opposite of the mad simper I'd expected her to sport.

"Who are you?" I finally found it in me to croak out, my voice scratchy, barely coming out of my throat. Of course, it was without a doubt Lisa Manoban was standing in front of me, but who exactly I was speaking to was unknown to me.Was it Lisa herself or her extra-psychopathic alter Liam?

She sauntered into small steps right in front of me, bending down to my eye level. Latching her gaze onto mine, she smiled magnificently; making my stomach lurch.

"It's me Ruby Jane. It's always been me."