Chapter 147

The first house in the lane came into view. Jennie realized it had stopped pouring, when silence filled the air as she killed the engine. Still shivering, she helped the lady out of the car, letting the dog out to trail right behind her.

"Come in, you must be cold." She said, before turning around and disappearing into the house. Jennie knew she should be wary of people, but she just had to get answers. Patting her right pocket once to calm her heart down, she followed the woman inside the small building.

It was a neat, warm and cosy place, Jennie noted as she settled into the living room. The woman came back with towels, leaving Jennie to dry herself off while she prepared tea. Afraid she'd get water on the couch, Jennie rose up and she began to pace around the room. Her eyes first found a framed degree hanging on the wall, Master of Science in Nursing, it read.

She almost missed the book case adjacent to it, but something caught her eye, something that made her do a double take. The sound of the cane against the floor made her aware of the woman's presence behind her, making Jennie turn around, finding her setting a tray on the coffee table.

"It's a nice collection of books you have here." She commented, to which the lady snickered.

"There was once a time I took great pleasure in reading them, now they just collect dust. But I'm glad you like them, makes me think of them as decoration."

Jennie pulled out a single copy from the array, "The Red Masque of Death." She said out loud as she put it back into its place. "I see you like Edgar Allan Poe, there's 15 of his works here."

"Yes, that was always my favourite part of the job. Reading Poe out loud for people too out of it to understand."

Jennie quirked a brow, "I thought you were a medical nurse."

"Not at Yongin Psychiatric Hospital." She took a measly sip from her cup, "My job was reading to the patients. Poe was always a personal favourite, I read his pieces out every single week to my groups for as long as I was there, up until the second that place burnt to hell."

"Patients' riots they said. Before I knew what was happening, I was out. The next thing I know, I wake up and everything is pitch black."

"I'm sorry." Jennie mumbled feebly as she took a place across from hers.

"Well, enough about me. Now what was it about your friend? Was he or she from town?"

The room remained silent for a minute before Jennie could move her lips. "Manoban, her last name is Manoban. And yes I believe she was."

She shook her head, "Must have been before my time then darling, there was no one named Manoban while I worked there." She set her empty cup down on the saucer, "In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a Manoban in Yongin."

Although Jennie was relieved that she hadn't put two and two together and realized who Jennie was referring to, she frowned. Another dead end, great; she thought. She could feel her teeth gnash against each other in absolute despair.

"If she's far from a friend, I assume you're looking for her because this person has hurt you."