Chapter 61

Jennie

The Seoul night sky was enchanting, dusted with hundreds of stars, glittering their iridescence down upon my spent form. Walking all these miles had left me exhausted, dead on my feet, but most importantly - stone hard sober. Almost all traces of the burning liquor I'd drank a few hours ago had evaporated from my system. I was starting to think that perhaps it had been laced.

Maybe it was the fact that crazy was growing on me too. Foolishly going to the killer who had almost ended my life a few days ago, was not a characteristic of sanity. I am kind of drunk, I tried to reason with my own subconscious. Or drugged.

The moonlight laughed at me. Deep down, even I knew that it was not the one fucking sip of alcohol in my system that made me want to see her; I wanted to see Lisa Manoban.

Lisa Manoban was doing things to my mind that killer psychopaths weren't meant to do to people. It was irrevocably foolish of me, but I felt this overwhelming compulsion to know her as a person, someone beyond mental disorders and cold murders. I wanted to figure out Lisa Manoban, disclose everything that was there to her, invisible to the naked human eye. Even if it kills me.

The gigantic building soon came into my view, I paused to catch my breath. Instead of swerving to the front gate as usual, I went all the way around to the back, making sure my movements were discrete enough to not attract any suspicious attention from the two guards at the front.

The yard in the back was what seemed like the remnants of a lush garden, now filled with rotting wild grass and weeds. Obviously no one cared about this side of the building to even station a single guard out there.

I was careful not to touch the barb wires as I swished my way into the yard. A huge, sober part of my brain begged for me to pay heed to the 'trespassers will be punished' sign, but my adrenaline pumped nerves swiftly ignored those. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the key.

I exhaled deeply, unlocking the door for once. The door made a rather loud, creaky sound as it opened, almost sending me into a cardiac arrest. But fortunately, this wing of the asylum was truly deserted, not one living soul in sight. I thanked the heavens and entered quickly.

I wasn't familiar with these hallways, so I prayed that I wouldn't get lost only to be found by a staff member, or no one at all. I walked about aimlessly, keeping an eye out for room number 327. I had almost given up, tired of walking round in circles down the same halls for what seemed like hours, when I saw it.

It stood out against all the other same looking rooms. Something about it. Someone inside it. I walked to the door, only to realize I didn't have an access card like So-yeon.

"Damn it." I mumbled under my breath exasperatedly. It was all for nothing.

No.

Lisa had to have thought of something. She gave me the psychiatric institution's keys for God's sake!

That's when I heard footsteps approaching the hallway.

That's it, I'm going to jail.

As of instinct, with wide eyes, I pushed the door with futile hopes. It opened wide. I quickly got inside, closing it immediately.

I listened for the footsteps, only taking a breath again when they positively faded away. I rested my forehead against the door, releasing a weighty sigh of relief.