Chapter 154

Jennie

My lungs were set on flames with every shallow breath I took.

With a fiendish glint in his moonlit eyes, Mino simply reached over to the surface of the wall by his side, pressing down on a switchboard I had missed before, effectively turning on all of the lights in the hall.

I couldn't help but squint as my eyes adjusted to the bright hot light, a movement which only made me sink down deeper against the granite. A wave of utter dread washed over my skin as the gravity of my situation finally settled in.

This wasn't Mino Song the class clown, my best friend, my only friend; someone who spray painted public property for fun and brought me takeout and movies when I had a bad day. No, that had all been smoke and mirrors. Mino Song never existed.

As he took one singular, small step in my direction, my mind went into overdrive as I quickly whipped my head around in search for anything I could use as a weapon, a grunt of agitation leaving my throat as I found nothing.

"You should know, things would have been very different, if only you stopped being such a fucking pest, Jennie."

I could swear his voice had gotten an octave deeper, no longer the airy tone I'd come to expect from my ever so cheerful, ditzy friend. How do I know if what I see is real?

"But then again," He sneered with sheer disgust, "You always were a dumb bitch, weren't you? You know, I bet you thought you could find the Seoul Ripper and change the crazy killer with the power of love and compassion."

As a beat of palpable silence passed between us, the traces of a crazed grin began forming on his lips, as if suddenly realizing something.

"Would you like to see the Seoul Ripper?"

My mouth parted open, heart threatening to pop right out of it as Mino leaned back to his side to knock on the wall thrice. I didn't quite have the time to process it all as I heard the distinct sound of a door clicking open. I had a clear view of the three doors, right behind Mino; flinching as the second door, the one that had been locked, opened slowly.

Out of the shadows she emerged. A face I'd gotten used to haunting my dreams every night, yet when the time came, it didn't fail to catch me off guard, disorienting me effectively.

She looked infernal. Like a creature borne in hellfire, blessed with destruction and cursed with allure. Eyes that shifted between light and dark, lips set in a line that gave no emotion away; I realized this was my heavenly hell.

It was as if I reeled between feeling stunned, helpless and panic-stricken all at the same time, that a groggy groan filled the space between me and the two psychos on the other side. On the floor, Nancy stirred sideways, slowly opening her eyelids. First her half open eyes slipped on me, before straining her face to the other side, finding Mino's frightening stature hovering over her sprawled body. As if slowly piecing together everything, a shrill shriek tore out of her throat. Nancy attempted to shift her body away to the other side where I stood, crying pitifully as she struggled against her restrained limbs.

I didn't quite have to the time to defend Nancy against the hand that grabbed her by the scuff of her neck, yanking her up on her legs in one swift motion.

"Didn't think I'd forgotten about you, now did you babe?"