Chapter 100

Jennie

"I've got to say, this is a real surprise." The sound of keys jingling against the lock on the front door meshed strangely well with the silence that surrounded the hallway. "Hae-jin never said anything about his family, I mean of course he kept to himself mostly, but yeah."

"Well, my mom and him had a little fight and he's not been in contact with us for a long time. We got the news of his passing from the hospital." my throat felt unmistakably dry as I lied straight through my teeth.

Miss Park looked at me, "Poor Hae-jin, he was such a good guy, all I could ask for in a tenant; paid his rent on time, no complaints from neighbours.. It's a shame." With that the door unlocked, flowing ajar. "You take your time dear, call me when you're done."

I thanked her, making sure she was gone as I entered the apartment. It was a fairly small one-bedroom unit, giving me not a lot of ground to cover. Perhaps everything I had ever learned about profiling had led up to this very moment. The interior was a soft grey colour, the decor being very minimal. He had only the bare minimum furniture, no photos or other objects of sentimental value displayed anywhere. I looked around, realizing everything was super neat and clean.

'Male subject in his 50s, kept to himself, an introvert, likely to not be in a relationship', I made a mental note. I walked over to the modular kitchen, looking for anything that stuck out of the ordinary. I then made my way over to the bedroom, doing a quick once over of the place as I looked under the mattress, in the pillowcases, under the bed for something, anything. I looked through a cupboard full of books, flickering through the pages to see if he'd hidden something in between.

Nothing. Maybe he really just was a guy doing his job at the wrong time at the wrong place. But deep down I could feel it, my gut screaming at me to delve deeper, that everything was not what it seemed. I walked out of the bedroom, sinking onto the couch, deep in thought. Even if Hae-jin did help Lisa escape, there's no point in digging into this further. He's dead and Lisa Manoban is still out there.

I ran a hand through my hair, groaning in frustration. Out of unbefitting exasperation, I flung a pack of cards kept niftily on the couch, right onto the floor. "Shit." I cursed as the cards flew everywhere, scattered while covering the once spotless carpet. I couldn't leave the apartment like that. I bent down at once, picking up the cards that had dispersed all over the floor.

I thought I had gathered almost all of them, until I spotted two cards peeking out from underneath the wooden coffee table. I had to lay down on the floor to reach them, exhaling harshly as I gripped them in between my fingers.

And then I felt it. My eyebrows furrowed, perplexed, before my eyes widened in bewilderment. It was something supple, but bulky. I stretched my arm as far as I could, grabbing the thing, pulling it out from under at once.

A diary. A small, black, leather-jacketed diary.

I opened it quickly, flickering to the front page.

It was entirely blank.

Fluttering through more empty pages, I finally saw a flash of black ink.

silverdoor306agpym