Chapter 30

Jennie

I licked my dry lips. "I...It's so unusual Doctor Han. Four of Lisa Manoban's victims were burnt alive and the bodies had been dumped elsewhere. These murders feel like they'd been thoroughly planned in advance, highly organized, as if it's the work of a professional killer."

I breathed out luridly. "And...and the others seem to be carried out by a disoriented person, very disorganized. They all had been stabbed, suffered head injuries and broken bones, and their bodies were found in the scene of the crime itself, with the knives nearby. Nothing like the others."

My gaze dropped to my fingers that were unthinkingly fiddling with the file. "It is the weirdest thing ever, it's almost as if it's the work of..."

"Two different killers." The doctor concluded my sentence, the ring in his voice blasé.

"Yes!" I let out a stirred release of breath, "And then, Lisa Manoban basically told me she didn't do it. And...andI have it in recording." To prove I'm not delusional.

"All of the murders?"

I shook my head exasperatedly, "No, no, not exactly, Lisa Manoban said there were one or two that she...Wait." My frantic eyes met the doctor's unfazed ones. "Y...you know about it."

Doctor Han merely nodded. "Have you talked about Lisa Manoban's past?"

I fell silent for a moment. "She doesn't seem to remember anything about her past." I answered warily, uneasiness settling at the thought of the doctor nonchalantly moving on, as if, the revelation that had just unfolded amounted to absolutely nothing.

"Do you know why?"

I shrugged gingerly, "I haven't really thought about it. It's a common misconception, but the criminal profile doesn't actually focus much on the psychological a..."

"The unconscious mind, Miss Kim," DoctorHan swiftly interjected. "Is a trove of primitive wishes and impulse. It mirrors a reservoir, if you will."

I shook my head, "I...I'm sorry Doctor Han, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't get why we're discussing Freudian theories.What was it that you were saying about the murders?"

Doctor Han exhaled a harsh spell of breath, choosing not to reply to my words. Unaffected, he continued, "Now, the conscious region of the mind is responsible for moderating and fending off these impulses." He held up a finger, excusing himself as he drove into a drawer.

My mouth was set into a firm line, as I fought to not lose my cool. I needed substantial information on the killings. Not Psychology 101.

Doctor Han pulled out a thick book, flipping the pages open. His eyes latched on to the text as he started reading out. "Freud found that some events and desires were often too frightening or painful for his patients to acknowledge, and believed that such information was locked away in the unconscious mind."

"You mean repression of memories? With all due respect Doctor Han, I know the psychoanalytic theory, what I don't understand is why we're..."

I cut myself off in a split second.

Oh.