Chapter 9

Jennie

Darkness. All I could anticipate standing in front of Room 327, was darkness.

With the previous encounter from two days ago still vivid in my head, I found myself wishing for time to go by slower. I wished So-yeon, who stood at my side with the black pass ready, would take her sweet, sweet time opening the door and pushing me inside the monster's den.

I glanced backwards harrowingly, running my gaze along the hallway I had walked into here, trying to deflect from the anxiety sinking its jaws into my frail flesh. Was it too late to go back? I questioned my subconscious.

In reply, I was only reminded of the very displeased email I had received from a very displeased Professor Lee, in response to my appeal of changing my case subject.

'Miss Kim, had it been someone else who had the nerve to write that mail, I would have asked them to drop this course and take up something like sociology or gender studies. Seeing that your case is different, I will let you off with only a reminder of how this assignment accounts for a generous proportion of your grade. You will do the assignment with no exceptions, seeing how a future criminal psychologist shouldn't be afraid of speaking to actual criminals. Please refrain from wasting both of our times in the future.'

I sighed internally, knowing there was no way out. I had to do this.

I needed those grades. I turned back around, positively macabre, looking at So-yeon quietly as she swiped the card across the little machine.

I wondered why So-yeon, or even the rest of the staff hadn't given me any weird looks yet. It's not every day that someone runs out of a hallway screaming bloody murder.

But then, again, this was an insane asylum.

Surely they had seen worse.