Chapter 156

Jennie

It was the second time in my miserable life that I'd found myself waking up the same way; my head spinning, nauseated and of course, with my hands bound behind my back. My vision had only just begun to clear up, a waning haze, when I heard noises from a distance. Voices.

This jostled my system awake at once, observing my surroundings, realizing I was inside an empty room, propped on the floor. I frantically tugged at my restraints in a feeble attempt to break free, but that was of no use. They seemed to be tied around a long cylindrical object pressing against my back; perhaps a pole I deduced.

The voices grew closer and it struck me that they were coming from the other side of the door. As I heard the knob jiggle, I immediately closed my eyes, lolling my head to the side like I was still asleep.

"You know, it would have been a lot easier if you'd only killed her the first two times like you were supposed to."

It was Mino's voice, I was sure of it. I had to bite back a sob that had almost escaped my chest.

"But nope, instead of bashing her head in and then taking the keys at Daenam like we had agreed on, you swiped it from her pants like some rat pickpocket." He spat. "And the second time I made sure you get your chance again, she ends up in a hospital with some mild fucking frostbite at best. What's wrong with you? Are you in love with her or something?"

"No. But I couldn't. I tried, but I couldn't." It was Lisa who spoke those words, voice soft, like she was ashamed. The tension built itself like blocks, growing unbearable by the second.

"Tell me Lalisa, did you think you could getaway from what you are by creating this fantasy with her? You think a wolf puts on sheep skin and loses his claws?"

"That's not what it was Liam, you know that."

"All I know is that you keep fucking up and I clean up after you. You get caught, I have to come up with some multiple personality bullshit to keep them from finding us. You get caught, I have to stop my killing spree for four years. I break you out, and I have to worry about keeping you underground. You're disappointing me Lalisa."

I could swear the hair on the back of my neck had all stood up at just how intensely chilling Mino, or Liam's tone was.

"You know what happens to people who disappoint me right? I know you don't remember much from our childhood, but you remember what I did to Mum and Dad when they disappointed me, don't you, Lalisa?"

An inadvertent gasp left my mouth that very moment. I felt their attention turn towards me, forcing myself to pry my eyes open.

Mino, noticing I was conscious, stalked towards my form, grinning like a fox, "Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey." He chuckled, giving me a half-glimpse into what once used to be my goofy friend. He crouched down, levelling himself to my eye level, tilting his head to the side as he mockingly stuck his lower lip out,"Aw, poor Jen. Always finds herself in deep shit."

Finding the last remaining bit of dwindling courage, I glared at him with all my might.