Chapter 80

Jennie

It is often said that one's entire life seems to flash right in front of their eyes, the minute their body embraces death with open arms. That's exactly what it felt like to me. Everything I'd work so hard for, would be going down the drain for sure in a matter of seconds.

Sergeant Cha straightened his back, his ears perking up almost, "We got any hits?"

The detective shook her head, "There are no fingerprints." She hissed with perturbation, "Get this, the handle on the door was wiped clean."

"Fuck me." Sergeant Cha cursed, disgruntled.

I almost did a double take, my jaw hanging open, as if. Did I hear that right? Then maybe there was in fact, a guardian angel watching over me. A guardian angel who was helping her cover up her not-so-angelic deeds.

"I'll keep you updated on the staff's alibis." Detective Kim muttered rigidly, taking her leave.

"See that." The sergeant huffed, swivelling towards me, "It's been about a month, and we've had no breakthroughs in the case." He sloped his shoulders, leaning forwards, "Which is why I need the truth. Was this college assignment jazz the first time you met Lisa Manoban?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, "Yes, I told you." I quipped.

"You grew up in three different foster homes here, didn't you? From age 9-17."

My heart missed a beat, as if. "Y... yes." I answered, still stunned by him for bringing that up.

"Look, we see cases like this all the time with neglected, young, impressionable girls who think falling for a criminal is one heck of an adrenaline rush. Maybe you met her as a kid, she promised you things..."

"What?! No! That's not true!" I exclaimed, my voice reaching a higher octave.

"If you did, no one would blame you. You're the victim in this situation, just tell us the truth."

I stood up immediately, making the steel chairs squeak shrilly against the marble floor, as it was pushed back. "I said, that is not true!" I spat, every word dripping with emphasized distaste,"I didn't even know Lisa Manoban existed before I met her."

The Sergeant leered, "Is that a sensitive subject? Your time in foster care?"

I chose to remain quiet, even though my heart was racing like stallion.

He on the other hand, glanced down to his file again, turning a few pages. "This says you were placed in your first foster home after your mother killed your 7year old sister and then overdosed on heroin..."

"I'd like to go home." I announced monotonously, my face passive of any emotion.

Sergeant Cha looked at me for a second, wordless, then shrugged lightly, "I can't stop you Miss Kim."

With a short nod, I turned on my heels sharply. I needed air. As I approached the elevator a few feet away from his desk, I paused, swerving around on a second thought.

"I'll send you a copy of my report on Lisa Manoban, it has excerpts from our interviews and other snippets that might be of use to you." I said plainly.

The Sergeant acknowledged me with a small nod,"That would be much appreciated."

And with that, I stepped inside the elevator.