Chapter 86

Jennie

We had only very briefly touched on the illness in my Forensic Psychology class, merely sticking to basic theory. But I wasn't here for the basics, I wanted to know everything there was to know about those three certain words put together.

I read on for a while, jumping from one thesis to another, absorbing every article of information that was right there in front of my eyes.

Dissociative Identity Disorder, earlier known as Multiple Personality Disorder, is an intricate psychological disorder in which a person assumes one or more alternate personalities, losing touch with reality. This is presumably caused as a result of exposure to severe trauma during one's childhood (often physical or sexual abuse), where the host body manifests another personality that he/she may or not be aware of, as a coping mechanism to deal with stressful events in real life while keeping those taxing memories in control.

I bit my nails in pure restlessness. Childhood trauma? From what I remembered, Lisa had never looked more radiant than she did when she talked about what she remembered of her parents.

But then, during my talk with Doctor Han, he did suspect abuse, owing it to the scars on Lisa's back.

The scars.

On impulse, my fingers brushed against my ribs absentmindedly. But what about Lisa? I wondered, picturing her carnelian-hued burn scars. I heaved an agitated sigh, bringing the ceramic cup of coffee to my lips, only to realize I'd finished the entire drink in the little while I had been here.

I clicked on to an already open tab on my laptop screen, refreshing the page for the fifteenth time in the last eighteen hours.Still, there remained no news on the body that Sergeant Cha had told me about last evening.

Were this girl's loved ones persuaded to keep quiet too, while the police investigated the Seoul Ripper discreetly from the public?

But if the body was burnt like what Sergeant Cha said it was, then Lisa had killed her as Liam. From my profiling I recalled, Liam would only go for plain women with no family, someone who's absence wouldn't be noted immediately.

Like myself.