Chapter 62

Jennie

"I thought you weren't going to come."

I swivelled around to be met by the sight of the person of both my dreams and my nightmares.

"Lisa." I released a shaky breath.

Even with her tousled hair and plain asylum clothes, she looked so alluring. It was a shame truly, that someone so devilish could look so angelic without trying.

Lisa's eyes first went to my slender neck, nonchalantly staring at the light bruise she'd inflicted upon me. My hands instinctively went to my neck, and Lisa turned her gaze away.

I cleared my throat. "Why did you want to see me tonight?"

"Why did you come?" Lisa asked back, her tone laced with uncertainty.

I stood wordless against the door. Lisa stood near the desk, but her eyes piercing into mine seemed to dramatically decrease the intensity of the distance. I looked away, no immediate answer coming to my tongue.

"You strangled me." my voice was shakier than I wanted to let on.

Lisa simply nodded, "I did."

'I did'. A simple 'I did'. Not even a 'I'm sorry', or 'I had to'. Nothing, no remorse. I raised an eyebrow in pure disbelief, "How could you even expect me to consider breaking into an institution after you try to kill me!?"

Lisa remained calm, as if my resent filled words hadn't been fired at her direction. She then did something there was no way I could have seen coming.

She smiled. Not a smirk, not a smug grin. But a pure, bona fide smile.

Lisa stepped forward slowly, "You say all that, yet here you are."

I had no answer to that, so I dropped my gaze from Lisa's eyes, down to the floor.

Lisa Manoban's head was a dangerous territory. She had different sides to her, like Jekyll and Hyde. And I never knew when which one would suddenly surface. The monster or the charmer.

As she sauntered forward, I found herself shrinking further back against the door. It hit me like déjà vu, the first time I'd met Lisa Manoban. She had stood in the same position, predatorily and powerful, while I'd been scared shitless.

Or had that been real? I thought. Did I hallucinate that encounter? Was I hallucinating this one? I wanted to laugh, somethings never change. How did this happen?

How did Lisa manage to get into the centre of my life, my thoughts. How did I get intertwined with the darkness that went by the blasphemous name of Lisa Manoban?

While I was lost in thought, I never even noticed how close Lisa had got, only a hairsbreadth away from my face. I looked into her eyes once again, the sub-zero ocean in them drawing me into the deepest abysses.

We stood stoic against each other, so close, oh so close.

The scent of an ocean breeze heavily intoxicated my senses, not quite the way the alcohol had a few hours ago. It was different.

It was something more enduring.