Chapter 127

Jennie

Two hands latched onto my shoulders before I knew what was happening. I could hear Lisa wrenching the handle, trying to get the door to open. But as the lock didn't budge, she began smashing down the entirety of the window with what I just caught sight of - an abnormally large throwing knife.

I attempted to get away, but Lisa's clasp on me was vice-like, and suddenly I felt my body being lifted up in the air, rough hands pulling me out through the window. The jagged pieces of glass dug into my sides and my legs as she dragged my body out through the window, making me scream my head off.

One second my body was being drawn out in the air, the next it fell on the ground with an audible, painful slump. Not wasting a minute, I immediately began crawling away on my stomach, ignoring how the snow was biting through the bare palms of my hands.

Of course, I didn't get any further than a metre, for soon Lisa had clasp me around one of my ankles, pulling me back down towards her. My head was spinning, I was growing out of breath. Perhaps it was the cold exposure shutting down my system, or maybe just anxiety. Whatever it was, my vision was turning murky.

I shifted my body around, as to turn to Lisa. The fading night light made her features appear more immaculate. Even with a maddened look in her Alexandrite eyes, the unkempt hair, her nostrils flared, Lisa was exquisite. I was dying by the hand of the most beautiful person I had ever seen.

With a guttural yelp, Lisa raised the knife, holding it high above her own form, positioned to drive into my torso, no doubt. As I saw her drive the blade downwards, I closed my eyes shut. I waited for that impact, a feeling not too many people had the pleasure of tasting and being alive to tell. The high of death.

The sharp sound of the knife gouging into a soft surface came first. I bit my lip and waited for the feeling of nothingness to then take over my body. I waited, and waited; but it never came.

My lids peeked open slowly, coming to face with the sight of Lisa Manoban crouching over my sprawled form just like she was, but her hands.. they were stuck to my side. I cranked my neck to the side, ever so slightly, my breath getting caught up in my throat as I saw the hilt of the knife sticking out of the snow, merely a few inches from my stomach.

Lisa had propelled the blade into the ground at the last second. My pupils darted back towards her face, taking in her knitted brows and the frown that sat upon her parted lips. The scowl on her face never desiccated, as Lisa's chest heaved in heavy breaths, a complete contrast to my shallow ones.

Lisa pulled the knife back out and tossed it to a side, cursing loudly. The ground from underneath felt like it was being violently shifted, as my eyes strained to remain open. I saw her get up, bringing the palm of her hands against her temples as more curse words left her lips, ricocheting against the trees. I closed my eyes for one second. The next time I opened them, I saw Lisa's hazy figure backing away. I could only pry my eyes open for a few more minutes, before they shut down on their own accord, my pulse dwindling.

In those minutes, I witnessed the most splendid sunrise I had ever seen in all of my years of existence, gilded bars of vermillion spilling down on my body, covering me and the specks of bloodstained snow with a clementine light.

Only as daybreak approached, I didn't know whether it was the dawn of another day for me, or would I then wither into the dusk.