Chapter 129

Jennie

Five days later

"The hypothermia has subsided and the frostbitten fingers are healing pretty well actually. No overt symptoms of PTSD yet. We should be thankful that the snowplough driver found her as soon as he did, otherwise I'd say we'd be looking at fourth degree frostbite."

The woman in the pristine white lab coat said to middle-aged suited up man, as they both glanced at the bed further down to their side, at the pale faced girl sitting up in it, staring at the plain wall impassively.

"She hasn't had any more..." The man trailed off, momentarily searching for the right word, "... attacks, has she?"

The doctor sighed, "Not as bad as the one she had when she first woke up. Did they tell you she tried to rip the IV catheter off her arm? Yeah, we had to sedate her. But I think she's slowly getting used to it, thank heavens."

The man nodded in acknowledgement, as the good doctor excused herself. He snuck another brief but gauging look at me, before starting to saunter down my direction.

"Jennie Kim?"

My detached gaze met his. The look in my eyes was hollow, yet harrowing, catching him off guard for a second.

"I'm special agent Lee Seung-gi. Do you mind if I talk to you right now?"

My face remained stoic, "Where's Sergeant Cha?"I spoke softly, my voice hushed.

"As of seven days ago, the Seoul Ripper case is now under the jurisdiction of the Korea Central Intelligence Agency, also known as KCIA."

I felt myself flinch in the slightest, as the name Seoul Ripper reached my ears.

"Well, like I said, I have some questions." He reached for the stool near the IV fluid bag, settling down.He couldn't help but glimpse at my hands. The medium-sized clip on my fingers, that he knew as the pulse oximeter, was not big enough to hide the pale bluish tips, nor the strange cuts that littered the entirety of my right palm.

"The statement that you gave to one Detective Kim yesterday, we will go forward assuming every word of that is true." He paused, meeting my eye, "Right?"

"Are you asking me if I lied?" I said, my tone calm, unemotional.

"No, of course not." He pursued his lips, "Did Lisa Manoban have another person with her at Sang-ho's?"

"Sang-ho's?" I murmured back confusedly.

"You said in your statement you were kept in a place with wooden walls with a fireplace in one of the rooms. We found a cabin not very far from where you were found, it matches the description. It's a hunting cabin at Bukhansan National Park and it's owned by Kim Sang-ho, from Gwangju.You ever heard of him?"

I shook my head, making special agent Lee continue; "According to him, he hasn't been there in 7 months. We've found some more.. evidence.. that Manoban may have kept her previous victims there too, the ones that came after she escaped the asylum I mean." He raised his brows, "So was there someone else with Manoban at the cabin?"

"Not that I knew of."

"Okay. You also said you were taken from the campus. Your boyfriend says you had borrowed his car to go somewhere, and that you were gone all day. May I know where that was?"

I looked away. Everything in my head was so hazy, but the part where I discovered Lisa's possible accomplice was as clear as day.

I fell into a dilemma.