Chapter 115

Jennie

The drive back to the campus was a tumultuous one to say the least. The sun had dipped down the horizon, leaving the sky with a midnight hue, glimmering stars and all, at 7 in the evening. I had tried my level best to not let the pit in my stomach affect my focus, driving with not a single thought in my mind. But if only trying meant succeeding.

As I parked Hanbin's car back into its spot, it hit me. I was supposed to meet him at that bar in 15 minutes. But given the day I'd had, I felt way too drained for that now. As I exited the car, I grabbed my phone to call Hanbin, as I walk towards the Girls Dormitory. When he didn't pick up after a few rings, I sighed and put the phone away, figuring the music must be too loud.

With the only sound all around me coming from my boots slushing against the snow, I realized just how empty the campus was, it being the holidays. In a matter of a few days, I'd enter a new year of my life. But how does one become a new person with old burdens weighing down my shoulders constantly?

As I stalked down the way, I wondered if I should call Ellee, confront her about it. I still couldn't believe it was So-yeon pretending to be someone and also being Lisa's other accomplice. But then, very few things even surprised me anymore; the last 4 months proving to be the biggest reality check I had ever gotten. As I remained deep in thought, debating on whether or not to call So-yeon, I almost missed the sound of another pair of shoes from far behind me.

I stilled. Whipping behind in an instant, my gaze sprung all around the place, my breath hitched. As I found no one, I released the foggy exhale I'd been holding in, resuming to walk. This time, I attempted to make quicker steps through the snowy cover, my brain still hyper alert. The sound of my phone ringing almost gave me a heart attack.

Quickly reading the name on the caller ID, I brought it up to my ears, "Jen, where are you?"

"Hanbin, listen to me.." I spoke wheezily, still looking behind my shoulder occasionally. "What? I can't hear you, are you on your way?.." His voice was drowning in the melange of guitar riffs and drums in the background, but I was growing paranoid by the second. "Hanbin, stay with me on the phone!" I almost screamed into the little device in my hand. "What? Speak up, I can't..." The rest of his sentence wasn't even perceptible over the loud music.

I looked around maddeningly, hoping to catch a glimpse of a campus security personnel, or another student, at least. "Jen, I'll call you back in a sec." His voice came through the speaker feebly again.

"No, no, no, wait don't hang up!" I wailed, my voice growing desperate, fear engulfing my mind as I heard an agonizing beep.