Chapter 151

Jennie

As I swivelled around to where Mino was, I found him fidgeting with the wardrobe by the door, trying to get it to open. Just as I was about to holler at him to leave it be and come see what I'd found, the wardrobe finally flew open.

It all happened in a flash, a haze of events that was too quick for my mind to comprehend. First there was a loud thump, as a body fell out of the closet, slumping onto the wooden floors limp on its stomach. Mino quickly fell to his knees, cursing as he gripped the body by its arms, supporting the torso as he flipped it over. My mouth went wide open as the dark haired figure's face came into view.

"Nancy." I mumbled, aghast. How do I know if what I see is real?

It was Nancy, my roommate, without a shadow of doubt. Her straight dark tresses were unruly and matted, droplets of sweat and dirt stuck on every inch of her face. Her hands and feet were tied up with tape, mouth gagged with a piece of cloth.

I dashed over to Nancy, eyes wide, my heart in my mouth. Mino slid the cloth from between her teeth down to her chin, shaking herby her sides. She just wouldn't open her eyes. "She's breathing." Mino exclaimed, glancing at me, all panic-stricken. Only then did it hit me, that every bit of this was real.

"We... we have to get her out." I finally said, swallowing the lump in my throat, "Hold her legs." I wrapped my fingers around Nancy's shoulders and her forearms, hoisting her up, as Mino mirrored my actions. We carried her listless form out of the room, laying her down on linoleum, right in front the kitchen.

I looked around, trying to catch my breath, simultaneously on a lookout for the kitchen sink. The second my eyes found one,I turned to Mino who looked positively shaken. "Here." I produced my pocket knife, thrusting it in his hands,"Cut the tape and call 911. I'll try to see if there's any water for her."

Scurrying over to the sink, I ran the faucet, not thinking clearly. A groan of frustration left my mouth when no water came out of it. Darting my head around in the dark space, I decided to forage the cabinets in hopes of finding anything we could use.

"We should grab her and get the hell out of here before that psycho gets back home." I heard Mino chip in, perturbed, but I chose to ignore him as I continued to look through the cabinets maniacally. "Shit Jen, are you even listening to me!? We're dead meat if that asshole finds us." He urged, "She... she'll skin us alive or feed us to the fucking horses or something, we have to get the fuck out now."

I bit on my tongue, my head about to explode from how overwhelmed I felt. I was facing away from Mino, not meeting his eye, yet the intensity of the situation was drowning me a thousand deaths. It was all too much, the passage of air in my chest getting more constricted by the second. Sweat trickled down my temples in this cold night.

And then I stilled. A dark little tendril of fear first snaked its way around the pit of my stomach. Then it began branching off to where my beating heart was, then my lungs, my limbs and then finally, my brain.